If we signed Guardiola, which players would thrive & struggle?

Silva, Stirling and De B are fine. Nasri is no longer an automatic first team choice but too good not to be that somewhere. Would rather see a new player who offered something different taking his slot. Same with Navas. If we are going to upgrade the squad we have to create slots and free up wages.

Agreed. A new manager, whether it's pep or not, will want to bring in some of their own players and make the team their own. Nasri is on both high wages, not a starter and could be sold for decent money, he is the obvious choice to be moved on.

Most players will have to adapt some way. Not only those more used to counter attacking style (like De Bruyne, who has adapted pretty well, if not seamlessly, to our style). But even those with the perfect technical qualities for Pep may have to do more. Take Silva for example, I wonder if he runs and presses enough for Pep. He certainly has the talent but his defensive work can be lacking and Pep teams push up and press as a unit, hounding opponents which we are currently very shit at. Pep even got Robben to work hard. So everyone will have to improve in some way, that's what he demands. Kolarov, Bony, Fernando probably out the door and I don't think Yaya can play at the intensity Pep will want from his midfielders. Mangala is a big question mark, Denayer may suit what Pep wants more (or if not, John Stones). It wouldn't surprise me if Navas survives the cull and plays a squad role under Pep too. Within the next 2 summers, expect 4 new full-backs with at least a couple next summer (good chance for Angelino and Maffeo to enter the equation here if they catch his eye).

Most players will have to adapt some way. Not only those more used to counter attacking style (like De Bruyne, who has adapted pretty well, if not seamlessly, to our style). But even those with the perfect technical qualities for Pep may have to do more. Take Silva for example, I wonder if he runs and presses enough for Pep. He certainly has the talent but his defensive work can be lacking and Pep teams push up and press as a unit, hounding opponents which we are currently very shit at. Pep even got Robben to work hard. So everyone will have to improve in some way, that's what he demands. Kolarov, Bony, Fernando probably out the door and I don't think Yaya can play at the intensity Pep will want from his midfielders. Mangala is a big question mark, Denayer may suit what Pep wants more (or if not, John Stones). It wouldn't surprise me if Navas survives the cull and plays a squad role under Pep too. Within the next 2 summers, expect 4 new full-backs with at least a couple next summer (good chance for Angelino and Maffeo to enter the equation here if they catch his eye).
Yep. It's the perfect appointment because the key elements to a Pep team are essentially a list of everything we are currently downright useless at. So I don't think there's a manager out there that can improve us more than Guardiola. But the fact that we are starting from rock bottom in terms of being a team that presses well and even counter-presses, it means we are going to have to be patient. Perhaps over a year before our side becomes instantly recognisable as Pep's team?

Bit surprised you questioned Silva's running and pressing. For me he's one of City's busiest midfielders as well being technically the best. The only deficiency in his game is his shooting. He should shoot more often (likewise Navas).

Bit surprised you questioned Silva's running and pressing. For me he's one of City's busiest midfielders as well being technically the best. The only deficiency in his game is his shooting. He should shoot more often (likewise Navas).
This season he's not done it so well. Maybe injury related? Only Fernandinho and Delph and to a lesser extent Navas consistently press to a high standard in our team. And because it's only a handful of players, it often exposes us more than it helps us. Pep will sort that out and it will be a joy to watch when it all clicks.

Nasri is more than capable if he can be motivated. If Guardiola can motivate him then he'll be brilliant, if he can't then Pep will bin him like a used nappy.
nasri will never be that motivated its a shame because on his day hes an incredible player but he doesn't show it often enough and i doubt he ever will.

Pep has always had fullbacks who are rapid...none of ours are...so they'd all struggle in his system.

David Silva would have to adapt to being an out and out winger or a central mid, akin to iniesta?

Pep has always had fullbacks who are rapid...none of ours are...so they'd all struggle in his system.
Our current set of fullbacks are the worst(pace and intelligent movement) compare to other top teams in Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.