Dad's Army Drama on BBC last night

Mike N

If anyone didn't see it try and catch up on iplayer. Really good re-telling of how one of the best comedies came to be. John Sessions was brilliant as Arthur Lowe.

I agree it was really good.

There was a similar thing about Monty phyton on bbc4 last year which is worth a watch if you can find it.

I agree it was really good.

There was a similar thing about Monty phyton on bbc4 last year which is worth a watch if you can find it.
Holy Flying Circus was brilliantly pythonesque. Forgot the Dads Army one was on. Will catch it on iplayer.

Never watched the show as a kid in he 70's, or indeed later life (the father in law has it on constantly mind...), but aware of a fair few episodes I've caught now and again (I get a bit nauseous when they play that clip over and over again). Obviously contains magic elements to be still talked about so much to this day. I'll probably sit through a few one day...
This was great though (and it worked as it captivated me as a 'non fan'). Utterly surprised that was John Sessions and the rest of the cast were ace.
That Richard Dormer (David Croft) has been excellent in pretty much everything I've seen in him. Really, really like him as an actor.

Brilliant docudrama. I totally forgot sessions was playing Lowe. Mark Heap was his usual underrated self and Shane Ritchie played himself as normal.

I don't hold high hopes for the film tbh as they seem to have fucked up the casting.

This was superb - I really enjoyed it - despite always watching it I never realised that Arnold Ridley was a bona fide war hero - twice !!!!

As for the movie - no thanks. The original was iconic so I cannot understand an ensemble of fine actors getting involved. I think the likely view is going to be

" well its no Dads Army thats for sure " ..... or....

"it was ok.... but its no Dad's Army thats for sure "

I just cannot see it surviving comparison. When you add the introduction of Catherine Zeta Jones ( watchable ) as a love interest who just wasn't there in the TV series or the original film I can see it being panned. I know people who struggle with different actresses playing Mrs Pike in the TV series and the original movie and the radio adaptations so I fear Toby Jones won't survive comparison with Arthur Lowe .... particularly when last night appeared to show they should have cast John Sessions in the role anyway !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.