Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stop thinking that if Bony were healthy on Wednesday he'd have come off the bench. But Iheanacho either gets three minutes or doesn't play at all in league matches and I don't understand why. MP will play a poor option over a good option based solely on size of their transfer fee.

I can understand why Pellegrini was reluctant to make changes on Wednesday. We were poor in the first half, but the longer the second half went on the more dangerous we looked. Relplacing De Bruyne, who was having an off night, with Silva was a fairly obvious change but apart from that it didn't look as if we needed to completely change the shape of the team by bringing on a second striker.

They're just not as good as players we've had recently in those positions. Tevez, Barry and Bellamy were better players, and we've spent a fortune trying to find a decent central defender to partner Komps and still not found one. Savic, Nasty, Ota, Mangala - for what we've spent there we should have just bid a huge fuck off unrefusable sum for one of Thiago Silva, Pique or Terry.
Albeit we've had FFP to deal with, Mancini always advocated quality over quantity and I get your point that some of our acquisitions in the last 4 years have left more than a lot to be desired.

Ultimately history proved Mancini correct because not one player bought during that damaging 2012 window remains at the club. This speaks volumes because in hindsight I don't think anyone will disagree that we should have bought two quality players during that window instead of the 4 pieces of dross we had to endure for the £55m we spent.

I leave Nastasic out of the 5 because under Mancini he had the makings of a star, but under Manuel he looked like a donkey whenever he was given a rare chance to play. We won the league that season so perhaps Manuel proved his point, but I've never got my head around Nastasic's meteoric rise to glory and back again in the space of 18 months.

The recruitment policy has to change as you find the right balance of players who can succeed at home and abroad which is where will go next to.

I have little doubt if Pep comes in will target and be successful in bringing some of those players and even if we don't we will change the policy.

Its obvious that if Hart, Silva, Kun, VK , Zabba , Yaya if all fit form 6 of our starting line up still when they were the spine of the first title all those years ago and yes 10 windows is a long time in football these days with all them bar Kun at the club before then in some case for a number of years it stands to reason that age , injury and the willingness to climb the premiership mountain a third time in the era of speed , agility and physicality that cracks will appear and be harder to cover.

I suspect we will be more competitive in Europe in years to come when we play Chumps League and find it harder to win a title every two years or so.

Strongest spine of team
Hart
Vk
Yaya
Silva
Aguero

This season
Hart
Vk mostly injured
A poor yaya generally
Silva mostly injured
Aguero mistly injured

Something tells me the above may have something to do with our inconsistencies. Yes back up players in the spine have some quality but will never be as good otherwise wouldn't be back up players.
Vk will hopefully lead again, injury free.
Silva, has legs but time for some succession planning with youth hopefully
Aguero as per silva.
Now yaya, he needs to become a back up player, if he stays. We need pogba, regardless of how much, to replace yaya.
If I was spending the money, and they would come, got to be pogba, stones, lukaku. The spine would be strengthen, the rest via academy.
Pep would struggle with what we're relying on currently. MP deserves some credit for keeping us in touch with the injuries and number of games.

Finally a good decision. Kelechi up front :)

293y5xl.png

Tidied this up now, but some of the petty point scoring needs to stop. If you're not contributing to the debate and deliberately winding other posters up then you'll get banned from the thread. Let's keep it civil and on topic.

It was good to see the manager give Yaya a bit of a rest for a league match (and bring him on at the right time). Hopefully he is beginning to see that despite his obvious quality on the ball starting with Yaya for every single match has been causing us problems. Decent confidence building result/performance and a whole week off for a change, we have to kick on now IMO if we are going to win the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.