FA Youth Cup Final - Chelsea v City - 27/4 7.45pm (ITV4) / tickets (merged)

Chelsea beat Blackburn 3-1 Friday evening to win 4-1 on aggregate to reach their 5th successive youth cup final.
They now face City in a repeat of last season's final.
Hopefully City can win the cup on the 30th anniversary of our first FA Youth Cup triumph (having also conquered Arsenal in the semis back then too.........)

Ties to be arranged.
Hoping at least one game will be between 4th - 16th May as I will be over and would love to go :)

30 years wow time just goes

That's still one of my favourite memories watching City

And 6 of the starting 11 ended up as 1st teamers which was brilliant. Obviously the bar was probably a lot lower then, but still, happy days.
*Cough*
I make it 7
In order of 1st team appearances, Paul Moulden, Steve Redmond, Ian Brightwell, David White, Paul Lake, Andy Hinchcliffe and Ian Scott.

Three times all 7 were on the same team sheet but one or two were on the bench - however at Brighton in March 1989, all 7 were in the starting line up for the one and only time together.
Beat that the Crass of 92!

Someone should do book about that team....... happy days :)

*Cough*
I make it 7
In order of 1st team appearances, Paul Moulden, Steve Redmond, Ian Brightwell, David White, Paul Lake, Andy Hinchcliffe and Ian Scott.

Three times all 7 were on the same team sheet but one or two were on the bench - however at Brighton in March 1989, all 7 were in the starting line up for the one and only time together.
Beat that the Crass of 92!

Someone should do book about that team....... happy days :)
Ahh, I didn't recognise Ian Scott's name, I had to Google him I'm afraid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Scott_(footballer)

He only made 95 career appearances in total and dropped out of football at 26(?). Whether due to injury or lack of interest I couldn't tell you.

Ahh, I didn't recognise Ian Scott's name, I had to Google him I'm afraid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Scott_(footballer)

He only made 95 career appearances in total and dropped out of football at 26(?). Whether due to injury or lack of interest I couldn't tell you.
Yes, joined Stoke and then Bury where a bad groin injury forced him to retire. However, after an operation later, he was able to play for Buxton, where he did his cruciate knee ligament.
He got into coaching kids and is now a director of a soccer school in Indiana.

Played 20+ times in 87-88 hardly a sniff the season after both under Mel Machin, assume there's a story somewhere, don't know it though

Played 20+ times in 87-88 hardly a sniff the season after both under Mel Machin, assume there's a story somewhere, don't know it though
It's all in a book called Teenage Kicks ;)
teenagekicks.jpg

• Ian Scott would also be on the move, remaining with Moulden in the 2nd Division in joining Stoke City.
    Speaking to the authors, Scott remained unaware of the significance of his final first team appearance -seven of the cup winning youth team lining up together in one game - and reflects on what he felt could have been and he also detailed what was going on behind the scenes that ended his City days.
    Ian Scott: ''I didn't know any of that info about the relevance of the line up until you told me. It's sad that we never got the chance to develop into the first team as a group because given time, I am sure we would have done OK, however, I fell out with Mel Machin. I had started really well under Mel and thought he was a fantastic coach and he gave us all a chance in the first team. I had scored some goals and everything was going brilliantly. I remember getting Man Of The Match at Maine Road against Sheffield United on the Saturday but we got beat.
  • I then was ill midweek and Mel wanted to play the first team in the reserves to try out a new system but I could not play. They won the reserve game and he chose to stay with that team for the Saturday. They got beat on the Saturday so I thought 'OK, I should be back in for the next game', but he left me out again. The team then went on a winning run and I did not play for weeks. I remember him adding me to the squad to play Chelsea and I said to the other players that I did not want to go all that way and stay over, just to sit in the stands. Unfortunately, one of the coaches overheard me and Mel pulled me from the squad and that basically was that. He made me train with the reserves and I did not play regularly again.
  • I just felt that a bit of man management at the time could have sorted that out. I was a young lad being left out when I was playing well and all it needed was a quiet word. I went to see Mel, to ask for a transfer and he turned it down. I asked him why and he said 'because I am going to fuck you about as much as I can'. A bit harsh, I thought to a twenty-one year old, but there you go.
    During the summer, I went away on holiday, expecting to return to City for pre-season training, On the plane I read in a newspaper that Stoke City were after me and that City were willing to let me go. When I got back I met Mick Mills in the airport and he bought me from City for £175,000.''

Last edited:
Ahh, I didn't recognise Ian Scott's name, I had to Google him I'm afraid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Scott_(footballer).

Poor Ian Scott always gets forgotten from that team, not by me though - when i was 12 the poor bloke used to have to put up with me making him xmas cards, birthday cards, valentine cards, etc etc - in fact i'm probably the reason he quit football hehe!!!! Seriously though, he was very nice to me as a kid, wrote back many times commenting on my art etc.

Anyway, enough of my nostalgia ;)

Will be at the final on friday, hope the lads can do it this year.

Got 3 tickets. Are the club car parks free or do you have to pay?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.