Are we looking to sign a striker?

Nope. We can. What we need is a superior goalscoring winger. Barca, Real and Bayern all don't have a stud backup striker. They have Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo Bale, Mueller and Robben. Starters at other positions who bring enough goals and can switch to the main striker role. Frankly we already have one in DeBryune. We just need another one like Griezmann.

Would love Griezman here

Would be a proper signing

No. In Aguero and Iheanacho, we have the best striker and the best young striker in the league. In Pep's system I can only see one of them being played so the people coming in will likely be central midfielders, full-backs, a center-back and maybe a winger.
That is totally ridiculous. No team would ever consider starting a season with a pool of 2 strikers.

Nope. We can. What we need is a superior goalscoring winger. Barca, Real and Bayern all don't have a stud backup striker. They have Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo Bale, Mueller and Robben. Starters at other positions who bring enough goals and can switch to the main striker role. Frankly we already have one in DeBryune. We just need another one like Griezmann.
WIth respect to Barca... I think that if Suarez went down, Messi or Neymar could play the nine. And if 2 out of those 3 were injured the remaining one could play striker quite easily.

At Bayern - it seems to be Lewandoski backed by a maybe not ideal Muller - so yes, I guess that Bayern get away with 1-1/2 strikers.

OtOH - not having a really good striker seemed to hurt Spain big time in 2010 (in spite of winning it all) and 2014 (Costa wasn't effective for Spain).
-----------
So let's say we don't sign a stiker next season and we let Bony go. And Aguero and Nacho were injured. Who would you start as our nine? Sterling?

WIth respect to Barca... I think that if Suarez went down, Messi or Neymar could play the nine. And if 2 out of those 3 whet down the remaining one could play striker quite easily.

At Bayern - it seems to be Lewandoski backed by a maybe not ideal Muller - so yes, I guess that Bayern get away with 1-1/2 strikers.

OtOH - not having a really good striker seemed to hurt Spain big time in 2010 (in spite of winning it all) and 2014 (Costa wasn't effective for Spain).
-----------
So let's say we don't sign a stiker next season and we let Bony go. And Aguero and Nacho were injured. Who would you start as our nine? Sterling?
In the Dax777 scenario it would probably be Greizmann, and how many games are they both likely to be injured, not many, Aguero missed about 10 games this season, just 6 league games so even If Iheanacho was injured at the same time somebody like Greizmann could have covered.

In the Dax777 scenario it would probably be Greizmann, and how many games are they both likely to be injured, not many, Aguero missed about 10 games this season, just 6 league games so even If Iheanacho was injured at the same time somebody like Greizmann could have covered.
Aguero seems very injury prone unfortunately. Bad luck could easily see Nacho out too. Is Greizmann good enough to fill in as striker in this event?

WIth respect to Barca... I think that if Suarez went down, Messi or Neymar could play the nine. And if 2 out of those 3 were injured the remaining one could play striker quite easily.

-----------
If we do what I proposed, I.E Sign a goalscoring winger (Griezmann, Dybala, Bale, Isigne etc). You'd move that Winger, Dybala being my preferred, to striker.

Aguero seems very injury prone unfortunately. Bad luck could easily see Nacho out too. Is Greizmann good enough to fill in as striker in this event?
Well he scored 30 goals on a more defensive team. 19 in 32 playing as Striker. My inclinations are to say yes he is :)

No, he's not very injury prone, it's a myth only in one of his 5 seasons has he played less than 40 games. In 5 years he has played 150 league games 208 total. Take out 13/14 season when he only played 34 games and his record is as good as any bodies.

That is totally ridiculous. No team would ever consider starting a season with a pool of 2 strikers.

Agreed. Especially when one of those strikers has an injury record like agueros. Aguero and kompany need to start being considered luxury players, great when they are fit but we need to build a team that doesn't rely on them at all

No, he's not very injury prone, it's a myth only in one of his 5 seasons has he played less than 40 games. In 5 years he has played 150 league games 208 total. Take out 13/14 season when he only played 34 games and his record is as good as any bodies.

From www.transfermarkt.com:
15/16 Malleolar injury Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016 0 days -
15/16 Calf Problems Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016 0 days -
15/16 Minor wound Feb 18, 2016 Feb 22, 2016 4 days
15/16 Wound Nov 30, 2015 Dec 14, 2015 14 days
15/16 Hamstring Injury Oct 12, 2015 Nov 19, 2015 38 days
14/15 Ligament Injury Dec 8, 2014 Jan 8, 2015 31 days

Seems pretty injured over this last season and a half to me.

Agreed though about his goal scoring record - it's phenomenal.

Edit - A title-winning EPL side can afford to lose about 4-6 games. If Kun is injured for 6 games, and is say recovering for another 3 or so, that means that our backup striker had better be really good - or we just need to totally dominate the rest of the league and our staring striker doesn't matter. Given Kun's injury record - I really think we need a 2nd really good striker to help ensure that we'll win the league.

And if we only have Kun and Nacho - we'd really better be Barca/Bayern/Madrid class to win the EPL IMO without a suitable replacement - yes a winger/midfielder might fit in... but the striker position is special. Often the stiker poses such a big threat that the wingers/midfielders/other forwards are left open to score - Kun out is huge, Kun and Nacho out without replacement might well be title ending IMO.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.