Ditching Sky

Gareth Barry Conlon

So I made the call to SKY yesterday to cancel my contract, I have been on the full TV package and my ‘introductory’ offer rate has just expired. They wanted to charge me £85 a month!!!! On the call they were willing to offer my £55! I do like the SKY+ set up and the technology works very well but no way am I paying that much!

So what are you paying?

And before anyone says Kodi, I have recently got Kodi and that is why I am happy to screw SKY into the floor (although I will miss the easy to use set up and pausing the live tv).

So I made the call to SKY yesterday to cancel my contract, I have been on the full TV package and my ‘introductory’ offer rate has just expired. They wanted to charge me £85 a month!!!! On the call they were willing to offer my £55! I do like the SKY+ set up and the technology works very well but no way am I paying that much!

So what are you paying?

And before anyone says Kodi, I have recently got Kodi and that is why I am happy to screw SKY into the floor (although I will miss the easy to use set up and pausing the live tv).
They will ring you back in a week and offer you great terms, They did for me even though when I cancelled I said im leaving the country haha

So what are you paying?

I cancelled last week mate. With TV package, multiroom, HD, Sports, Line rental and broadband, they were putting it up to £113 after offers had just expired! I wanted to keep the line rental and broadband though.

Got Kodi with Fire TV, phoned them and after a while of trying to keep me (best offer for my package £89) I cancelled the TV package. Confirmed that I could get Freesat (240 channels) through the Sky+ box, and with a £10 subscription could keep the pause rewind and record facilities for Freesat. Also, did me a 'leavers offer' (?) of taking a tenner off my line rental (pays for the Sky+ subscription) and giving me FREE broadband. Work that out.

So now, from £113 a month, I'll now be paying £10 for Sky+ with Freesat, and £7 for line rental, saving me £96 a month. And with Freesat and Kodi it will do for me :)

More importantly, I feel liberated :)

I cancelled last week mate. With TV package, multiroom, HD, Sports, Line rental and broadband, they were putting it up to £113 after offers had just expired! I wanted to keep the line rental and broadband though.

Got Kodi with Fire TV, phoned them and after a while of trying to keep me (best offer for my package £89) I cancelled the TV package. Confirmed that I could get Freesat (240 channels) through the Sky+ box, and with a £10 subscription could keep the pause rewind and record facilities for Freesat. Also, did me a 'leavers offer' (?) of taking a tenner off my line rental (pays for the Sky+ subscription) and giving me FREE broadband. Work that out.

So now, from £113 a month, I'll now be paying £10 for Sky+ with Freesat, and £7 for line rental, saving me £96 a month. And with Freesat and Kodi it will do for me :)

I feel as though I should be looking at this BR !!

By freesat do you just mean standard freeview through the sky box or is there more to it?

I feel as though I should be looking at this BR !!

Check Freesat oakie - loads of channels, and with the Sky+ subscription you keep the pause rewind and record functions. You will lose the multiroom though, but I'm just getting a Fire stick for the bedroom and they are on offer at £30 at the moment. We don't watch much TV outside of the normal channels anyway, and Kodi sorts my sports and movies needs. It's a no brainer - but I have to say I was nervous about doing it, you get used to Sky ease and functionality, but is that worth £113 quid a month?

What I'm saving pays for my £900 season ticket :)

Check Freesat oakie - loads of channels, and with the Sky+ subscription you keep the pause rewind and record functions. You will lose the multiroom though, but I'm just getting a Fire stick for the bedroom and they are on offer at £30 at the moment. We don't watch much TV outside of the normal channels anyway, and Kodi sorts my sports and movies needs. It's a no brainer - but I have to say I was nervous about doing it, you get used to Sky ease and functionality, but is that worth £113 quid a month?

What I'm saving pays for my £900 season ticket :)
Cheers BR, I`ll certainly have a look and our lad is far more savvy with this type of function,so he can have a look also.

I allowed Sky to fleece me for years by paying £73 each month by direct debit. They love(or used to) mugs like me as I sat there flicking through the discovery channels to find they were repeated and i'd watched most of what I was interested in. When you watch football, they cant wait for HT so they can ram copious amounts of adverts down yer throats!
And then there's pay per view. So you pay for Boxing and in between most rounds they cram as many ads in there as they can.

I told them to cancel my subscription 2 years ago. Bought a Kodi box off ebay for £40, and a friend of a friend installed a dodgy Sky box for £110. It may freeze and scramble occasionally and I might lose the server now and then but I just take the box to the guy who installed it and he plugs a memory stick in it and updates it within 5 minutes. I'm able to watch all the channels I could whilst on Sky.

I did like Sky and all the features of the Sky box, but when they blatantly rip you off then they only have themselves to blame when people like me cancel

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.