Gaming PC Advice

The Silver Surfer

My son needs a gaming pc - any recommendations up to £600? Preferably much less.

Im thinking i5 processor at least, 16gb ram, graphics card like a GeForce or Radeon R9 with something like 4-8 gb ram, and a 1tb ssd.

At the moment he can only play things like Rust because his PB imedia s2880 won't handle Grand Theft Auto smoothly.

I'm a bit confused with graphics cards especially, i'd have thought the amount of gb it has was most important but I see ones that can do 4k graphics, so I suppose if I can future proof it I will do but I don't want it to blow my wallet apart.

Family is chipping in, he's autistic and just coming up to his 16th birthday after doing his exams so though we'd treat the fella.

Last edited:
My son needs a gaming pc - any recommendations up to £600?
That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question without more info.

Are you happy to build it yourself? Do you have any existing parts or an older PC that can 'donate' parts? Or are you looking for 'ready built from PC World' type of PC?

That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question without more info.

Are you happy to build it yourself? Do you have any existing parts or an older PC that can 'donate' parts? Or are you looking for 'ready built from PC World' type of PC?

For info I've edited the OP ^.
I'd be happy installing Windows and cards but I fucked up once building from scratch and knackered the motherboard so that put me off.

My son needs a gaming pc - any recommendations up to £600? Preferably much less.

Im thinking i5 processor at least, 16gb ram, graphics card like a GeForce or Radeon R9 with something like 4-8 gb ram, and a 1tb ssd.

At the moment he can only play things like Rust because his PB imedia s2880 won't handle Grand Theft Auto smoothly.

I'm a bit confused with graphics cards especially, i'd have thought the amount of gb it has was most important but I see ones that can do 4k graphics, so I suppose if I can future proof it I will do but I don't want it to blow my wallet apart.

Family is chipping in, he's autistic and just coming up to his 16th birthday after doing his exams so though we'd treat the fella.
You're not getting anything like that spec for £600 or less and don't even consider 4k graphics, it would cost you £600 just for the graphics cards for 4k. There's a cracking website at https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ which lets you play around building up a PC with links in real time to the online suppliers. That'll give you an idea of what you can get for your money. If you register (it's free) it will save your builds and you can link to them to get feedback. I'll have a little play and see what I'll come with with.

You could get something like this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2H86M8 for £625 (this is just a quick mock up but everything works well together) which includes an i3, GeForce 970, 8Gb of ram, 1Tb HD and Win 10. It'll leave you with some expandability for the future as it's based on the latest Intel Skylake chipset and has room for adding a SSD for instance. You could maybe save some cash by changing the 970 card for a 960 but for a gaming rig the graphics card is the first thing to consider. The 1Tb ssd you mentioned btw would cost you at least £170 on it's own.

This doesn't include a monitor either but you can use the hdmi output and use a big screen TV.

Edit: you'd need someone to build it obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's going to be a PC gamer the best piece of advice would be to ensure he tells everyone he's a PC Gamer at every opportunity.

by the way he's got one of these...
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...9_1465130574_f49401c8e3221a967d29eada245d7128

and he originally just wanted a more improved graphics card but its a small stack pc and not only would I need bigger slots than it can handle for the graphics card, it would need a far bigger power supply - I think the spec is ok, so if you could suggest any good small graphics cards and bigger psu's that might be a way round it. I did look myself a while ago but it just seemed the easiest way to go would be a whole new rig.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.