Old Manchester cinemas

I remember the Regal, Levenshulme, a huge luxurious Art Deco building on Stockport rd. It was the las M/cr cinema built pre-war. Two full-length films, an organist, heaven knows what else. Plus the Forum, Wythenshawe (is it a hotel now?). I went to school in Burnage & went often to a big cinema there called the Lido. The Apollo in Ardwick was another posh cinema. The Odeon on Oxford St was then called the Paramount. There was a Rialto, Higher Broughton. There was a bis (then modern) one down Parrs Wood Rd that became the ATV television studios, but I forget its name.

I wish I could find a definitive list or a cinema page from an old Evening News or Chronicle.

I'm on my phone so can't post it now but there is a website of ye Olde cinemas in Manchester.
There was the ABC opposite the City Chippy on Claremont Road.
The Apollo started out a a cinema.
Also on Kenyon Lane in Moston, Deanway DIY is in the former cinema and is great to go in and have a look around not for DIY stuff but for the nostalgia!

The Mayfair in Whitefield was the first place i was taken to. Saturday matinees were always packed. Well i remember them being packed probably not really but when you are small everything seems 4 times as big.

I'm on my phone so can't post it now but there is a website of ye Olde cinemas in Manchester.
There was the ABC opposite the City Chippy on Claremont Road.
The Apollo started out a a cinema.
Also on Kenyon Lane in Moston, Deanway DIY is in the former cinema and is great to go in and have a look around not for DIY stuff but for the nostalgia!
Was in there the other day for a drill bit. Not many hardware shops like that anywhere else.

Don Cinema Theatre in Ancoats Manchester now the metro stop called holt town

large.JPG

Wow.... I remember playing in this Cinema when I was a kid. It was derelict but not knocked down.
Got into the tower and threw stones at things below. Circa 1973. All the seats still in and I even think there was still a projector still in.

The Mayfair in Whitefield was the first place i was taken to. Saturday matinees were always packed. Well i remember them being packed probably not really but when you are small everything seems 4 times as big.
Yep my local, I actually went to the last ever film shown, can't remember what it was though?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.