Old Manchester cinemas

The Savoy in Heaton Moor has just opened following a big refit. Well worth a visit if you like old cinema!

2679732_2869952_1457817763.jpg

2679732_2869957_1457817763.jpg

Wow.... I remember playing in this Cinema when I was a kid. It was derelict but not knocked down.
Got into the tower and threw stones at things below. Circa 1973. All the seats still in and I even think there was still a projector still in.

just about the same year 1973 that i would have been messing about in there lived in padiham avenue next to star avenue

The York cinima in deepest Hulme, Saturday morning filled with giddy kids watching Dick Barton, THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN (Anyone who saw these will know why tin tin is shouty), Tarzan, Flash Gordon, The flying eye, and a few more I can not remember.

The Palace in Middleton. Also, used to be a cinema years ago in Blackley, on junction of Rochdale Road / Victoria Avenue - that was demolished for a KwikSave shop which is now also no longer there

The Imperial on Chorlton Road, Brooks's Bar

I saw A Hard Day's Night there amongst many other early 60's stuff and was my usual Saturday matinee venue

The Temple on Cheetham hill road near the corner with queens rd.

Saw the first couple of Star wars films there and a classic at the time in my mind 'Firefox', loved that film.

Also saw Porkies lol.
Was the Temple still open when the Star Wars films started? Thought it shut years before that. Not doubting you by the way, just surprised.

Further up Cheetham Hill Road, near the Waterloo/Greenhill Rd junction was the Premier and further down, just by Queens Road, was the Essoldo, which then became a bowling alley.

I saw Goldfinger at the Premier and Zulu at the Essoldo.

Tudor, Didsbury. Get there early, carry the films up what seemed Mount Everest and they let you in for free. Eldorado (sp) ice cream tubs, any more feet stamping and we stop the film. Kingsway forgot the name of it. But thanks Margaret for a great time on the back seats.

the Savoy in Heaton Moor looks wonderful. Great pictures.

I remember the name of the Radnor cinema in Hulme. (Why would anyone call a cinema the "Radnor"?)

Pity they're all multiplexes & Cinecities now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.