Old Manchester cinemas

The Rialto, Higher Broughton, Salford 7...

large.jpg

The Carlton Cinema,Cross Lane

Carlton%203-filtered.jpg

Brings a tear to my eye. I spent many a happy hour at these places.

The Crown at Eccles that they are desperately trying to save from demolition at present.

The Princess at Monton, it used to have a row of shops under a verandah just below the steps up to the main entrance, but there was a second entrance at the end of the verandah for the cheap seats! There's a block of flats there now called Princess Court.

The Broadway, the Palladium (Palad to us) now a Bingo Hall, the Majestic (Majec) that became the Talk of The North. They changed films halfway through the week & I had an aunt who used to say you could go to the pictures every night of the week & see a different film every night if you lived in Eccles!

When I lived in Burnage I used to take my kids to Cine City in Withington & the one on the corner of Green End Rd & Kingsway. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called now! Became a supermarket if I remember correctly.

I think it was called the Curzon bud, I only remember it as a few lads I used to coach were from round there, apparently, the guy who owned/ran the place, was pretty old school used to stand outside and anyone misbehaving would get a clip around the ear and fucked off out of the queue, my kinda guy.
Yeah it was the Curzon it's still standing many fond memories going there as a kid, the Trafford centre killed it.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called now! Became a supermarket if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

We knew it as the Burnage Odeon but before that it was the Lido and it was renamed the Classic later on. . How it was once.

On Eccles Old Road Hill near Buile Hill there is a newish development where the roads are named after old movie stars - Monroe, Hepburn, Bogart and even the Keystone Cops. Someone told me it was on the site of an old cinema. Any idea of the name - if it was true. It seems quite a big area to have been a cinema.

That was it ... thanks for that Guys is it now a pub?

No it's a dance studio I think.

The whether spoons in Urmston centre used to be the gas showrooms years ago but before that I believe it used to be a cinema but that would be donkeys years ago.

The one in Stretford is on Chester road opposite the civic theatre. That is closed now I believe but after a cinema it became a bingo hall for years.

Not Manchester, but here in Marple there is a Regent cinema, old school, they even have intermissions.

Spent many a happy Sat afternoon in their as a young kid. Was up at the old q's the other week and went for a walk round (old times sake) was amazed it was still there.

We used to walk to the Roxy every saturday (or was it sunday) afternoon to watch the matinee.
Lurch was very mean. He could have been one of my school teachers if he had only applied himself more.

Just an empty space now mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.