Old Manchester cinemas

The Palace in Stalybridge
Unit 4 in Rawtenstall
The Theatre Royal in Hyde
The Essoldo in Gorton
The Temple in Cheetham
The ABC in Ashton
The Apollo in Ardwick
The Cinephone in town...(Dirty mac required)
The Empire in Bottom Mossley
The Odeon in Bury

Used to go to all of them.

The post on the history forum about the old Pink and Green editions of the M£N & Chronicle reminded me of the old days when the cinema page liste what was on at all the old Manchester flicks - there were wonderful names like the Roxy, Hollinwood, the Cintra, Harpurhey, the little Tudor cinema down a back street in Didsbury, the Trocadero in Rusholme, the Coronation in Northenden (basically a tin shack), probably a Rialto somewhere, the list covered a whole page of broadsheet, virtually all long gone.
Many were fleapits, but that was the heyday of cinema. I wish I could remember more names.
Anyone care to jog my memory? Thanks.
My parents were living in a flat over the Palatine Cinema at the time I was born in 1953. We moved to Rusholme to a place more or less opposite the Rusholme Cinema - located on Wilmslow Road between Great Western St and Little Western St. As a boy I was a regular there and at the Trocadero. later we moved to Withington and the Scala was my local. The first film I remember seeing at the Rusholme was Seven brides for Seven brothers.
Does anyone know what happened to the Rusholme cinema?

My parents were living in a flat over the Palatine Cinema at the time I was born in 1953. We moved to Rusholme to a place more or less opposite the Rusholme Cinema - located on Wilmslow Road between Great Western St and Little Western St. As a boy I was a regular there and at the Trocadero. later we moved to Withington and the Scala was my local. The first film I remember seeing at the Rusholme was Seven brides for Seven brothers.
kwik save then Asian supermarket I think

I remember the Rusholme cinema well. It had little cutouts of stars and planets at the back which I loved. It,like many of the things round there,was demolished and is now a petrol station,mini market. The Kwik Save/Asian market is nearly on the spot where the Trocadero was. By the way re.Rusholme cinema do you remember the little car showroom next to it. I have fond memories of the area.

.....There was a bis (then modern) one down Parrs Wood Rd that became the ATV television studios, but I forget its name.

I wish I could find a definitive list or a cinema page from an old Evening News or Chronicle.

ABC studios? Capitol cinema before.

The AABEN
Pre Cornerhouse, I saw some weird films there. Bof! and Themroc as a double bill. Both ended up in a Channel 4 series of "Banned" films and I couldn't remember why. Bof! featured father and son sharing the same woman, and in Themroc they roasted and ate a policeman.

The Mayfair in Whitefield was the first place i was taken to. Saturday matinees were always packed. Well i remember them being packed probably not really but when you are small everything seems 4 times as big.

That was my local too. First film I remember watching was Convoy. You used to get pre film films too. Also the classic and odeon in Bury.

Pre Cornerhouse, I saw some weird films there. Bof! and Themroc as a double bill. Both ended up in a Channel 4 series of "Banned" films and I couldn't remember why. Bof! featured father and son sharing the same woman, and in Themroc they roasted and ate a policeman.
I got shot at from the crescent flats on my way home from there one film.....I was hiding behind cars and running to the next car until out of range

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.