Fernando - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobom

He was playing so well at the end of last season - did so much for us in the Champions League, especially - but it's really hard to see how he fits into Pep's system. That DM position is so vital in keeping play moving and stretching the opposition, and he really didn't look comfortable - I had more confidence in the centre halves finding the best pass than in him, tbh...

He was playing so well at the end of last season - did so much for us in the Champions League, especially - but it's really hard to see how he fits into Pep's system. That DM position is so vital in keeping play moving and stretching the opposition, and he really didn't look comfortable - I had more confidence in the centre halves finding the best pass than in him, tbh...
Absolutely this. Even as a squad player, I'd rather if we'd now focus on giving Aleix Garcia his gametime. That's what I was saying since Pep came that I just don't see Fernando anywhere in our team, and I was actually totally satisfied with his performances last year, but still... So when the news that both Navas and Fernando are set to stay came out of nowhere in the summer, I didn't really get it.

Last edited:
Loses the ball to much,although he does try to win it back I suppose,but not good enough for this new "superteam" we are creating,should be shipped out this week

I thought he'd a good year last year tbh, but last night looked lost in the system. This may be the him & Delph tandem though as we'd zero creativity.

The Fernando situation is what makes me think the Joe Hart situation is not just about his quality on the ball.

Hart is better on the ball than the average keeper. Fernando is worse on the ball than the average midfielder.

But when you look deeper, the pivot position is arguably the most important position on the pitch for a player to be good on the ball, and it's the only position Fernando can realistically play for us. He's way short of what's required for that role and doesn't have the qualities to play in any other position.

The only possible quality I can consider for him is if we need a physical presence in the last 10 minutes of a tight game. But surely that's not worth keeping him for? Him and Navas just look completely out of their depth in a Guardiola team.

Gives what he's got unfortunately it's not very much to give. One paced and loses the ball easily. Even last night against fodder he was average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.