N'Zonzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, alternatively, the media hype was generated by his people to negotiate a better deal for their client.
A good player, but I'm unsure whether he's the sort to take us to the next level.

Yeah, that's a possibility too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Juve next season though. Think our fleeting interest has probably passed now.

Or, alternatively, the media hype was generated by his people to negotiate a better deal for their client.
A good player, but I'm unsure whether he's the sort to take us to the next level.

The way he's been playing this season he'd walk into our midfield. He was the best player on the pitch in 2 of the 3 Sevilla-Real Madrid games last month - some of the highest quality games all season.

Loads of teams would have been interested for €28m so the idea it's all just media bollocks is pretty unlikely. Actually, fans' (I mean that as fans in general, not you specifically) insistence that their team gets used for contract offers is bullshit 99.9% of the time, teams just try and keep hold of their players when other teams come sniffing.

When Bonucci signed a new contract everyone said the same, "Oh we're just being used by agents", and then Soriano said we went for him, and Bonucci said he had a very hard time saying no and nearly moved.

The way he's been playing this season he'd walk into our midfield. He was the best player on the pitch in 2 of the 3 Sevilla-Real Madrid games last month - some of the highest quality games all season.

Loads of teams would have been interested for €28m so the idea it's all just media bollocks is pretty unlikely. Actually, fans' (I mean that as fans in general, not you specifically) insistence that their team gets used for contract offers is bullshit 99.9% of the time, teams just try and keep hold of their players when other teams come sniffing.

When Bonucci signed a new contract everyone said the same, "Oh we're just being used by agents", and then Soriano said we went for him, and Bonucci said he had a very hard time saying no and nearly moved.

There are times this season when I've imagined that I could walk into our midfield, and arguably Toure has ambled his way in too. :-)

I've no evidence to assert so confidently that teams or players exploit circumstances, or do not, to their own advantage, but I'd imagine we have sufficient pull to turn the head of most. That said, I think it can be particularly hard to attract established internationals from certain leagues (Germany, Italy, and Spain), when the player has hitherto shown no appetite to venture forth. I'm not belittling N'zonzhi's ability, but at 28 I sense that his age and style are perhaps not quite what we require in the coming seasons, even if it's what we're sorely missing in the here and now.

There are times this season when I've imagined that I could walk into our midfield, and arguably Toure has ambled his way in too. :-)

I've no evidence to assert so confidently that teams or players exploit circumstances, or do not, to their own advantage, but I'd imagine we have sufficient pull to turn the head of most. That said, I think it can be particularly hard to attract established internationals from certain leagues (Germany, Italy, and Spain), when the player has hitherto shown no appetite to venture forth. I'm not belittling N'zonzhi's ability, but at 28 I sense that his age and style are perhaps not quite what we require in the coming seasons, even if it's what we're sorely missing in the here and now.

We bought Fernandinho at 28, and he's lasted 4 seasons and counting.

No reason why Nzonzi couldn't have been similarly long term, and his style is definitely Pep-compatible.

We bought Fernandinho at 28, and he's lasted 4 seasons and counting.

No reason why Nzonzi couldn't have been similarly long term, and his style is definitely Pep-compatible.

Quite, but we bought Gundogan when he was 25, and I just feel Guardiola will identify someone younger and more dynamic than both. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.