Monaco - Post Match thread.

Fucking shit.
Wrong player selection, wrong tactics. No Steel, leadership, urgency or savvyness (?)
Leaving the two most experienced heads on the bench was a big mistake.
Fucking shit.

Personally, I think Yaya would have been given the total and complete runaround (as the others who were on the pitch were). For me, it's not the issue. It was collectively about hunger, desire, self-belief in that first half. Monaco had it. We didn't.

spot on that, last player you want in fast pace, high intense pressing, tough tackling is yaya. He requires a slower pace footballing game so the choice for fern was made. Whoever we had available wouldn't have coped with the pace from Monaco, our problem was losing the ball easily and bad passes, wasted chances in the final third.

Might have made a difference had we had Vinny on the pitch along with -

Gundogan instead of KDB
Gabriel Jesus instead of Sergio.

Injuries made this impossible.

You kn
Careful Bill, you'll get CC1 along in a second to tell you to go back to rag cafe. You're not allowed an opinion on Pep it seems.
You know Me I love city but I can't just go along and say nothing when we make errors like that.
Of course I want pep to win us things and I'm sure he will but he was bobbins last night.

The fun bit is I seem to collect stalkers lol. Everyone else who post like me gets ignored.

*honoured*

Someone please explain the benefit of a stupidly high line on the free kick from which we conceded from

It's part of Pep's philosophy. We attack in small spaces and defend large spaces. Regardless, I think we have conceded only 2 goals from free kicks so far.

Is that in any way reassuring? We've signed a new CB every summer for the past 8 years, Lescott apart none of them have been hugely successful acquisitions though Stones may yet turn out to be one.

2009 - Lescott
2010 – Boateng
2011 – Savic
2012 – Nastasic
2013 – Demichelis
2014 – Mangala
2015 – Otamendi
2016 – Stones

Let's hope we don't go down the same path with the FBs.

As for last night, the first half reminded me of Leicester away, no protection from the midfield and panic stations from Clichy and Sagna every time Monaco attacked down the flanks. The second half was an improvement but it must be obvious to Pep that Sagna and Clichy have virtually zero attacking impact so when we were chasing the game in the second half why not at least bring Zaba on to help Sterling going forward as Sagna just seemed to take up his space for most of the game.

Boateng is a great example of why sometimes players need a bit of time to settle. And Nastasic looked a great player. He got young player of the year and then the following season got shipped out.

Stones was great last night and will be a stalwart for us.

Where has that Stones been I Wonder? He was fantastic in the 2nd half, really formidable - especially going forward. Even in a loss, the biggest bright spot for City fans should be the renaissance of Stones because you got a glimpse of what to expect from him in the future

Is that in any way reassuring? We've signed a new CB every summer for the past 8 years, Lescott apart none of them have been hugely successful acquisitions though Stones may yet turn out to be one.

2009 - Lescott OUTSTANDING
2010 – Boateng -Should have been played at CH not right back, good enough now but left too soon.
2011 – Savic -Seems good enough for Athletico.
2012 – Nastasic- Forced out due to lack of confidence after Hart at Chelsea
2013 – Demichelis- 1 great season, should have been allowed to go then.
2014 – Mangala, Not good enough on the ball but better at defending than half of what we have now.
2015 – Otamendi- on is arse too often but not as mad as is made out.
2016 – Stones- work in progress.

Let's hope we don't go down the same path with the FBs.

As for last night, the first half reminded me of Leicester away, no protection from the midfield and panic stations from Clichy and Sagna every time Monaco attacked down the flanks. The second half was an improvement but it must be obvious to Pep that Sagna and Clichy have virtually zero attacking impact so when we were chasing the game in the second half why not at least bring Zaba on to help Sterling going forward as Sagna just seemed to take up his space for most of the game.

Lol you run to Ric like I give a fuck.
I post what I like when I like . Win lose or draw.
Truth hurts I get that but blue/pep tinted glasses are something I'll never have.

Put it this way we are out and to the easiest team we could have drawn.
You work it out.

Easiest team lol, you're on form this morning Bill.

Ok so we got knocked out, did anyone actually believe we could win this trophy with that defence, you need at least ten years to win it and lots of luck, let's not get all arrogant like the red shite, our time will come once we get the players to fit peps plans.

no i didnt think we would win the champions league. but i didnt expect to get bullied and pressed by this monaco side either. i must be stupid because we`ve been bullied by a few teams this year and we struggle to cope

Well if our defence is so shit why leave them out to dry by playing only 1 defender in front of them? Give them some help by playing another defensive midfielder, given we have a two goal lead and are away from home?

btw you cant blame yesterday on kolorov stones or willy the three of them played ok IMO.

it was suicidal tactics. we were getting shoved off the ball in the first half and needed yaya to provide some solidity.
I'm not saying we shouldnt of played a 2 man midfield, we completely should've. My point was that sitting back deep and defending for 90 mins isn't in our DNA and would've just been as bad as what we did yesterday, for me it is just something that will probably never happen while Pep is here. Also i agree with Willy and Stones playing well however Kolarov lost Bakayoko for the goal and his positioning was poor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.