Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the idea of statues. I had this idea of a 'wall of fame' statue... build a statue of the likes of Mercer, Allison, Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Trautmann etc. Then add to it, put the likes of Mancini in there, Aguero (obviously when the time is right). Could become an iconic part of the stadium, this big wall of statues and wouldn't be limited to 4 people, could end up with 50 people on there!
I started watching city in 75/76 season so didn't see any of those listed at the height of their game and building statues in their name for me is just trying to prove we have a history. Mancini all reference to was taken down by the club on his departure so don't ever expect a statue, they just don't like him fondly enough in the corridors of power. We are more likely to get a Marwood statue.. As much as we should respect our heritage lets keep the etihad current history

I would have all stands sponsored rather than named after former players and all concession stands named after players who play/played at the Etihad. Dickov is far more likely to appear in the Dickov bar pre match than Summerbee, Yaya cafe could replace the Bluemoon cafe as he is tea total (honest judge, no idea how the alcohol got in his system that day..) The captains bar could have images of current recent captains lifting our recent trophies

I agree we need an end if we are ever to create an atmosphere that would be anywhere near what is was at Maine Road, and it probably can only be the North Stand.

The powers that be see the "sides" as being able to make too much revenue for corporate for it to be given to the "hardcore" wouldn't surprise me in years to come to see East stand lower around the half way line all corporate as it seems they are doing on opposite side with the tunnel. So best we can hope for is an end.

The South Stand is the loudest stand, but I can't see them ever moving the away fans from where they are now because of the proximity of Ashton New Rd, the club and especially the police will want the away fans on the coaches or on the road and away from the ground ASAP. I can't ever see the away fans anywhere else but the North Stand.

Which imo leaves only the South Stand. The family stand would have to be moved, which will anger fans again, and they won't relocate families to sit next to the away fans. I can only see them on level one too, if we want to attract next generation of fans they won't want them climbing the spirals, even if they are fitter than the adults that have to do it instead!

There is no easy answer. It should really have been thought about then we moved, but we have just copied what happened at Maine Road. I'm a kippax kid, but after the new Kippax was built I'd say at least 50% of the "hardcore" moved to the North Stand. The Kippax did keep an atmosphere, albeit nowhere near as good as when it was standing, so us and the North Stand either side of the away fans created the atmosphere (while the Platt Lane and Main stand were told to give us a song!) Problem is as time has moved on the East Stand is not the old Kippax, and I fear it never will be again, especially if you create a whole corporate tier in it.

So the South Stand is what is left, and for the reasons listed above it isn't as easy as just swapping the North and South stands around, but maybe that is the delay with NS expansion. It really is the last chance we have to create an end and an atmosphere that isn't just a generic modern day stadium where only the away fans make a racket.

I agree we need an end if we are ever to create an atmosphere that would be anywhere near what is was at Maine Road, and it probably can only be the North Stand.

The powers that be see the "sides" as being able to make too much revenue for corporate for it to be given to the "hardcore" wouldn't surprise me in years to come to see East stand lower around the half way line all corporate as it seems they are doing on opposite side with the tunnel. So best we can hope for is an end.

The South Stand is the loudest stand, but I can't see them ever moving the away fans from where they are now because of the proximity of Ashton New Rd, the club and especially the police will want the away fans on the coaches or on the road and away from the ground ASAP. I can't ever see the away fans anywhere else but the North Stand.

Which imo leaves only the South Stand. The family stand would have to be moved, which will anger fans again, and they won't relocate families to sit next to the away fans. I can only see them on level one too, if we want to attract next generation of fans they won't want them climbing the spirals, even if they are fitter than the adults that have to do it instead!

There is no easy answer. It should really have been thought about then we moved, but we have just copied what happened at Maine Road. I'm a kippax kid, but after the new Kippax was built I'd say at least 50% of the "hardcore" moved to the North Stand. The Kippax did keep an atmosphere, albeit nowhere near as good as when it was standing, so us and the North Stand either side of the away fans created the atmosphere (while the Platt Lane and Main stand were told to give us a song!) Problem is as time has moved on the East Stand is not the old Kippax, and I fear it never will be again, especially if you create a whole corporate tier in it.

So the South Stand is what is left, and for the reasons listed above it isn't as easy as just swapping the North and South stands around, but maybe that is the delay with NS expansion. It really is the last chance we have to create an end and an atmosphere that isn't just a generic modern day stadium where only the away fans make a racket.

i dont see why not tbh. plenty of clubs have stands full of families next to away fans. if the reason for not building a world class home end similar to dortmund was 'we didn't want to put the kids near the away fans', it would such a huge opportunity missed.
'if we want to attract next generation of fans they won't want them climbing the spirals', i dont understand that, there are plenty of kids sat in the third tier, are you saying the only way we will attract kids is by having them on level 1 ?

i can't see the east stand becoming corporate swell. i dont think we have the fan base. That would be pretty much all of level 2, all level one colin bell and east. that means most of the ground would be corporate, how would that work ? the corporate sections are half empty as it is. wed basically just have the prominent parts of the ground half empty and needing to move thousands of fans

Last edited:
is that definite mate ?, I've seen you mention it before. but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if we just built the exact same as the south stand, which would be a huge opportunity missed.

I'd be very surprised if the club built an exact replica of the south stand, although that is one of three options. :)

This is how it works at Dortmund. Worth watching

Great post. Great video. I've been looking to find a weekend when we're playing on a Monday and Dortmund are at home to experience it myself. Will definitely do it next season.

Sounds like we're half way there; the club have sanctioned a singing section; we have the 1894 group; we have the flags etc. We need to at least experiment with the cheer leader guys and the drum (and ignore the professional miserable bastards - just do it).

Could your post, with the video, be the start of (yet another) thread on the atmosphere?

nice to see you back on the thread mate, any snippets to be had?

It's been a while since i heard anything interesting so I look forward to Worsley and others posts as much as anyone.

I still think the academy isn't in its final form though with an expansion somewhere along the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.