It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumours about Navas and Yaya getting new contracts have made me fully flaccid.

At this point in their careers they're Europa League level players at best and I can see myself a year from now being fucking livid that we're still relying on them. Excited about a right back? Nah, we'll just offer the older player - who should be playing for a lower mid table team by now- a new contract. Excited about signing a pivot at the base of midfield? Nah, we'll just extend the contract of someone who should have left 2/3 years ago and gets rings run around him by any opposition midfield with a bit of energy.

Yes, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and yes, there's a chance that we'll sign players in those positions anyway but seriously? Not only are they well past it but they stop the development of the academy players. Why the fuck is Maffeo on loan when we're playing Navas at right back? If we send him on loan again just to accommodate a soon to be 32 year old who brings next to nothing on the pitch, you will be able to hear my eyes roll from fucking Cornwall. And, as much as I've appreciated him getting in shape and having a couple of decent games, Yaya is nothing special whatsoever at this point and there's no point pretending otherwise.

Neither of those players would be good enough for a spot on the bench for either Chelsea or Spurs right now so god knows what they'll be like in a year's time.

Rant over.

The rumours about Navas and Yaya getting new contracts have made me fully flaccid.

At this point in their careers they're Europa League level players at best and I can see myself a year from now being fucking livid that we're still relying on them. Excited about a right back? Nah, we'll just offer the older player - who should be playing for a lower mid table team by now- a new contract. Excited about signing a pivot at the base of midfield? Nah, we'll just extend the contract of someone who should have left 2/3 years ago and gets rings run around him by any opposition midfield with a bit of energy.

Yes, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and yes, there's a chance that we'll sign players in those positions anyway but seriously? Not only are they well past it but they stop the development of the academy players. Why the fuck is Maffeo on loan when we're playing Navas at right back? If we send him on loan again just to accommodate a soon to be 32 year old who brings next to nothing on the pitch, you will be able to hear my eyes roll from fucking Cornwall. And, as much as I've appreciated him getting in shape and having a couple of decent games, Yaya is nothing special whatsoever at this point and there's no point pretending otherwise.

Neither of those players would be good enough for a spot on the bench for either Chelsea or Spurs right now so god knows what they'll be like in a year's time.

Rant over.

It has been a time of surprises. Not really in a good way. Empathise with the frustration. You never know, they may not take the offers up.

What are you talking about?

The news about the extensions, from Sammy_Goal for example, mentioned specifically they would be back-up options, ie squad depth, bench warmers, last resorts.

Yes, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed

And there's your problem. You aren't thinking rationally.

We need the very best starting 11 available and, as of this summer, we will have a minimum 6 gaping holes of that 11 to fill. That's borderline unparalleled.

So we sign some Joe Shmoe from some shite Belgian team to sit and watch the grass grow in case our first choice RB gets injured. He's a nobody, a nothing, but he'll cost City £15m and that's tying Pep's hands for getting the players that really matter - the one's actually playing.

and yes, there's a chance that we'll sign players in those positions anyway

Why yes, a 100% chance.

Not only are they well past it but they stop the development of the academy players.

Who in our fucking Academy is ready? Brahim? Sancho? Did you watch the Youth Cup Final? They are years away from breaking through.

Why the fuck is Maffeo on loan

What's better for Pablo Maffeo's development: Sitting not-playing on the bench, playing every week and having his development monitored at Girona?

If we send him on loan again just to accommodate a soon to be 32 year old who brings next to nothing on the pitch,

If Maffeo isn't ready, he isn't ready. Why rush the lad?

Further, I'd argue Navas at least has pace and a good worth ethic. He can do a job at RB already and would only cost wages.

And, as much as I've appreciated him getting in shape and having a couple of decent games, Yaya is nothing special whatsoever at this point and there's no point pretending otherwise.

Yaya stepped up this season when Gundogan went down, we need players like that available in the squad who are able to cover our first choice. Again, it makes sense to seek to reward Yaya, a club legend, with another year and save the money we would spend finding a new Yaya to warm the bench.

We aren't Chelsea or Spurs. They don't have Pep. It's a complete non-argument.

Cool down a bit and you'll see it makes sense.

Rant over.
Doesn't bother me as long as we're bringing in starters to play ahead of them. Gives us an extra year to replace them while strengthening the first xi (as both are starters now) and the bench (where our options are horrendous - rather see Yaya and Navas coming on if we need a goal than Fernando and Sagna). Like it or not, there's too much to do this summer in terms of incomings to spend £30m+ along with signing on fees and agent's fees on every position, both starter and back up.
Will you be complaining about those two staying if it means we have the budget to sign a world class starting pivot and a world class starting right back instead of 2 mediocre options in each position?

Now, saying that, I could be wrong and they'll both be starters, in which case I'll happily get the pitchforks out along with you. Same goes if that useless **** Clichy gets an extension...

Navas and Yaya have played pretty well this season. If they accept paycuts to stay then I can only see it as positive while the youngsters still develop on loan.

Who in our fucking Academy is ready? Brahim? Sancho? Did you watch the Youth Cup Final? They are years away from breaking through.

We'd get absolutely fucked up if we played the entire team but I'm not exactly asking that, am I?

What's better for Pablo Maffeo's development: Sitting not-playing on the bench, playing every week and having his development monitored at Girona?

Option 3: he plays in his favoured position instead of a mediocre and aging winger.

I have a lot more time for Navas than most on this site but he's a stop gap and not a particularly good one. What happens at other clubs? Those situations are used to give minutes to the promising academy player who has impressed whenever he's been on the pitch.

You might not think he's ready but I do. I could understand sending him out on loan when we decided to give Zabba and Sagna another year; they are very experienced players who would have been described at some point as world class right backs. However, if we were to send him out on loan again because we wanted to go with Navas then I'd be a whole lot more disappointed.

If it's Navas and a new right back then I'll be happy but I still don't see why it wouldn't be Maffeo and a new right back.

We aren't Chelsea or Spurs. They don't have Pep. It's a complete non-argument.

Pep alone doesn't win you a thing, we need to improve the deficiencies in the squad which were already visible two years ago.

Will you be complaining about those two staying if it means we have the budget to sign a world class starting pivot and a world class starting right back instead of 2 mediocre options in each position?

No, of course not. If we sign a player in each of those position who will keep both yaya's and Navas' minutes down to a bare minimum then that is fine. At this point I'm just concerned that the improvements won't be anything to write home about and we'll just be in the same situation next season as we're in now.

Now, saying that, I could be wrong and they'll both be starters, in which case I'll happily get the pitchforks out along with you. Same goes if that useless **** Clichy gets an extension...

My pitchfork is holstered, I know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes or what Pep sees in training each day and I'm certainly not a Txiki out kind of guy. It's just a case being concerned about offering contracts to players who simply have no business playing for top teams at this stage in their careers.

Like Akiva said, this could all make sense and I'm just being a pissy twat but right now it just seems like a flashing warning sign.

I kinda understand Navas getting a new contact if our plan is to get rid of both Sagna and zabs this summer. Equally Yaya has shown he's still got something about him, as long as this is a short - greatly reduced wages contract I can see the value in keeping yaya at least one more season if we're loosing Fernando and Delph.

We'd get absolutely fucked up if we played the entire team but I'm not exactly asking that, am I?

You're not, but there isn't anyone in our Academy ready to step up, that's a fact.

Option 3: he plays in his favoured position instead of a mediocre and aging winger.

So you suggest we don't buy a new RB and play Maffeo there instead? Daring.

I'm not sure Pep believes he's ready for that yet and it seems a risky gamble compared to bringing in established talent in the position.

I have a lot more time for Navas than most on this site but he's a stop gap and not a particularly good one.

He's been at the club for years, but yes, if he extends then it's a stop gap and it's exactly what we need.

What happens at other clubs? Those situations are used to give minutes to the promising academy player who has impressed whenever he's been on the pitch.

We aren't other clubs.

You might not think he's ready but I do.

Whether you or I think he's ready is irrelevant. Does Pep think he's ready? Evidently not.

I could understand sending him out on loan when we decided to give Zabba and Sagna another year; they are very experienced players who would have been described at some point as world class right backs. However, if we were to send him out on loan again because we wanted to go with Navas then I'd be a whole lot more disappointed.

Neither Zaba nor Sagna have pace or the necessary skillset to play Pep's system. Say what you like about Navas, but he's not going to be left in the dust by Rashford, or Mane, or Wellbeck etc.

If it's Navas and a new right back then I'll be happy but I still don't see why it wouldn't be Maffeo and a new right back.

Sitting on the bench does absolutely nothing for Maffeo, I'm sorry. If he won't be getting the minutes, he's better on loan actually playing football.

Pep alone doesn't win you a thing, we need to improve the deficiencies in the squad which were already visible two years ago.

You're right, but it's Pep who calls the shots and he does things differently than how Pochettino or the like would.

We aren't going into next season with Navas as the starting RB, that's in the very report that has gotten your knickers in a twist. Not spending money on a replacement saves us money, potentially Mbappe money, and Navas will in all likelihood sit on his ass for the majority of the season then off to Seville when we can look again at Maffeo etc. It's win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.