Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The political chat about cuts surrounding the London fire incident (that is being kept out of that thread) - the Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue chief was saying at the time of the enormous cuts they were looking at (a few years ago) that he was going to make the point to them that it was putting the public at risk. Pretty sure he said they wouldn't be able to cover what they needed across Greater Manchester.

So I think this London fire is a legitimate thing to discuss in the context of public services cuts. We've seen now the enormous pressures and failings in police, health and fire now. Utterly shameful from this Tory Govt. imo.

I have seen elsewhere that in the past 5 years fire deaths in Greater London are down 20% - not sure how accurate this is though.

I did hear on LBC that following the Lakanal House fire in 2009 and the scathing comments of the coroner some review was done and a report issued to Government with recommendations such as retro fitting all tower blocks with sprinkler systems and central fire alarm systems. Its alleged that the cost was seen as prohibitive under austerity measures as Local Govt would ask for shedloads of cash to cover it at a time when the govt was cutting their money so the minister responsible for Housing and Planning sat on it. Who was he? Step forward Gavin Barwell - the guy Theresa May has judged to be astute enough to be her new senior adviser. If true then we have austerity - deaths and Mays judgement called into question - again.

RE: The political chat about cuts surrounding the London fire incident (that is being kept out of that thread) - the Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue chief was saying at the time of the enormous cuts they were looking at (a few years ago) that he was going to make the point to them that it was putting the public at risk. Pretty sure he said they wouldn't be able to cover what they needed across Greater Manchester.

So I think this London fire is a legitimate thing to discuss in the context of public services cuts. We've seen now the enormous pressures and failings in police, health and fire now. Utterly shameful from this Tory Govt. imo.

I've heard it all now.

Tories, the anti fire-service party. Good grief.

No, you wouldn't. You'd just resort to insults or some other dismissive shite because you are not prepared to listen to anyone. You're a waste of my time.

Throw in the odd "hmmmm, you have a point" type comments, say 1 in every 1,000 and perhaps I might start to take you a bit seriously. Until then, no.

Have a point and I might.

I've heard it all now.

Given the on going tragedy it is legitimate to ask why this happened and if there were measures not taken that could have prevented it occurring. If it is fire service cuts, non implementation of fire regs, budget cuts, service companies skimping and cutting corners, local and national government refusing to acknowledge resident concerns or a combination of reasons then it all needs to be dragged out into the open to ensure it doesn't happen again. I don't care who it harms politically just make damn sure it is not repeated

Except its not being kept out of thread at all, apart from 1 post, the only ones removed are the ones with petty bickering, a reasonable request was made to keep it non political, the one post removed wasn't "reasonable".

This though is the correct thread for political argument so well done.
Sorry from a quick look looked like people wanted news only so replied to that discussion here instead

You think the Tories are pro any public service? Really? Not sure too many public servants agree

I think they are pro "getting us out of the shit the last government left us in". Something that some people on here seem to have forgotten all about.

I read the original ("capitalism is about wealth creation for all") to mean "everyone can become wealthy" not "everyone will have the same wealth" or "will be wealthy".

You can interpret the original post however you wish.

But your statement is also incorrect, it assumes that capitalism is a zero sum game, it isn't.

I've heard it all now.

That's a different conclusion than what I used.

This austerity policy is failing on all fronts - that's why I blamed the Tories for the all major services operating at the brink. They could have enacted that policy without putting people at risk but they went too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.