Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't the DUP opposed to that? It might solve the NI-ROI issue but creates similar problems between NI and GB. Wouldn't it mean tariffs on NI "exports" to GB, border checks on NI citizens? And, of course, the DUP see it as a first step to unification.
It'd certainly be a shame to see the CTA altered but what else can you do?

Would we be allowed to have non-tariff between Rep. Ireland and UK in the event we don't get non-tariff to the single market? I presume not, it being a single market and the Rep. being in it.

Tariffs between Ireland and UK would be ludicrous.

And if we ignored the decision? Then what? We don't know if businesses will be fucked up, i'm sure some will and others will rise and take their place.

At the end of the day a decision was made, we can't now change our minds because those who lost shout loudest.

But we can change our minds if the people wish to change their minds. The decision to leave was close. It is still close with the people still evenly decided. People who wish to remain are entitled to carry on campaigning to either reverse the decision or negate the decision with a deal at the end of two years (or whenever) that is Brexit in name only.

The argument to leave the EU was not settled by last years referendum. It will be fought for years to come. It will remain a faultline in this country.

Furthermore given the current political mess with a minority Govt and no clear path to pass any Brexit legislation without one faction or the other going no way and pulling the plug I don't see anyway forward in advancing the result of the EU referendum. Just as there is a faultline in the country there is a faultline running through the cabinet and parliament. What's more the EU will be reluctant to negotiate with the UK in the absence of any clear idea from the UK on what they want. Any final deal has to be ratified by Parliament and can you see any deal getting through Parliament in the next 5 years? And if so where does that leave us? In or out of the EU? Or (as is more likely) a fudged provisional deal that parks us to one side for years protecting trade but leaving us politically neutered.

And you're spouting about democracy, yet in denial about a result you didn't like.
A referendum was called because of public demand, nobody successfully challenged it because there was
a general consensus for one. Never, anywhere, were there any clauses on the percentages you refer to, it was held,
and more people voted out than has ever been than in any other referenda or election.
There has been no downturn in our economy because of the referendum, we've taken a dip because of the recent
election throwing up a hung parliament, which is entirely different.

Usual nonsense from you, the economy has been on a downward trend for some time, and forecasts are poor, as far as I know apart from a few business leaders saying we don't like the current situation there are not yet any economic results in post election

It'd certainly be a shame to see the CTA altered but what else can you do?

Would we be allowed to have non-tariff between Rep. Ireland and UK in the event we don't get non-tariff to the single market? I presume not, it being a single market and the Rep. being in it.

Tariffs between Ireland and UK would be ludicrous.
If they don't have them, doesn't everything just go via Ireland?

That's nice. NI also needs no border between them and the ROI. I look forward to the solution that squares that tricky circle.

If the DUP want out of the EU, out of the single market and the customs union and a soft border with the republic and no special status for Northern Ireland, then where does the hard border start? It has to start somewhere.

That is out of the question. Opening the doors to millions of people coming from a war zone (many jumping on the bandwagon from perfectly stable places) is not a sustainable solution - there are always world conflicts, commonly in Africa/Middle East. Permanent residency is not a solution to an issue of requiring temporary safety. I've said on here before the UN need to back a proper, long-term solution for these temporary matters. If large numbers of people from poorer countries constantly move to the richer countries, it will eventually cause serious problems for that country and collapse infrastructure to support that many people - turning a well performing country into a shithole those immigrants wouldn't chose to live in.

Besides all that - legally speaking (as long as they haven't agreed prior), there is zero right for people to demand a country they are not from or have citizenship in to take in any immigrants. Those are matters of sovereignty to decide what's best for their own people, unlike international humane laws against chemical weapons and the like that require external pressures to ensure basic human rights.

I'm not saying don't help refugees, I'm saying do it sensibly in everyone's interests. It's in the interests of those refugees to be helped to live in their own country and build that country into a good place to live. There are other complex issues then though such as exterior countries meddling for their own gains without conscience for the people there - these types of countries need to be held to account.

How the fuck can a refugee, fleeing blanket bombing live in their own country.?

Jeez, this post is so full of shit i don't know where to begin.
The fuckin 'interests' of refugees is food, water and a safe place to sleep.
fuckin jesius.

Serious question. Is there one politician with a proper vision of what trade, immigrant, political agreements should form our approach to brexit. All I hear is bloody sound bites which once you dig mean nothing. I seriously would listen to that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.