Grenfell Tower block disaster

Of course smoke detectors go off before sprinklers (unless you've somehow got a fire with no smoke). If a sprinkler goes off, you've got wet furniture. No sprinkler, you've got a big fire, most of your furnishings in the house will be ruined by smoke, and what isn't will be ruined by the firefighters pouring water everywhere.

Just buy your own plug-in system anyway. Though I did notice (not that there's anything remotely making political capital out of a tragedy): "Fire crews taking longer to arrive at house fires, according to BBC research". http://www.surefire.co.uk/Fire-Suppression/PortableSprinklerMistSystem

Well that's what I mean. Sprinklers in houses would on the whole be in order to save property and not really life which is always the priority. So as far as saving lives smoke detectors are adequate and rightly compulsory. I can live with damaged furniture if my kids are safe (covered by insurance as well).

Anything over 4 storeys (as a suggestion) would be maybe where I see the value in making sprinklers compulsory.

Tragic to see people who have lost everything - including loved ones sleeping on a mattress on the floor of a sports hall. This in the U.K. 2017 - is that the best we can do.

This is just the tip of the iceberg fire deaths have risen 15% in the last year, you may sadly going to see more deaths and not just in London. Manchester is now so stretched they have changed their policy in how fire engines are distributed around when there is an incident, they now say you can in some circumstances expect to wait 12 mins to attend an incident no matter what it is, so if you're in a house fire imagine that. When I joined 15 years ago we had 2000 firefighters now we have less than 1000!!

This is just the tip of the iceberg fire deaths have risen 15% in the last year, you may sadly going to see more deaths and not just in London. Manchester is now so stretched they have changed their policy in how fire engines are distributed around when there is an incident, they now say you can in some circumstances expect to wait 12 mins to attend an incident no matter what it is, so if you're in a house fire imagine that. When I joined 15 years ago we had 2000 firefighters now we have less than 1000!!

That's is sad to hear.

It seems likely that a number of tower blocks around the country will need refurbing once the causes and contributory factors are confirmed.

This cannot be optional. We owe all our citizens a basic duty of care.

Surely there's a case for diverting a serious chunk of foreign aid expenditure specifically for this purpose. Then it could (presumably) be done without loss of face or detriment to other tax/expenditure plans. Or, in other words, no fcukin excuses.

The cladding was flammable, it would not have been extinguished by sprinklers. The cause of the fire will be debated but the real question is who allowed the use of flammable p.u. instead of non-flammable material which would have resulted in a totally different outcome.
Shockingly, this is the second time this has happened.
The landlords and the govt will try to focus on the cause of the fire rather than the effects of putting profit before human lives. No doubt they will get away with it, as ever. The express/sun/mail cabal will back their buddies as ever, just as they did with Orgreave, H'boro Bradford. The guilty should be named but i wont hold my breath.

Terrible this whole thing.

Forgive my cynicism but if I was one of these terrorist types I'd be licking my lips at how fucking easy to burn hundreds of inhabitants of such flats to death it is.

Heard a woman on the radio today from Tamworth who lived briefly in a tower block... she said that the block she was in plus another 4 in the area were given the option of passive fire upgrades or a sprinkler system.. they chose the passive system as the installation of sprinkler pipes would cause too much mess and upheaval... so you can't always blame the authorities

The death toll here seems likely to reach horrendous levels... RIP those lost

How can they possibly minimise the numbers? that is shock and highly charged emotions talking

She is indicating that the government is trying to control the death toll for political means, i.e. a slow drip of deaths will create less outcry than stating its 100 plus right now, not sure she is right but I wouldn't rule it out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.