Musicians Thread

Sticking at it is what it takes, keep at it. I promise, one day it will click in to place for you and you will look back and feel proud of yourself.
Remember, when you learn an instrument you're asking your body to do something it wasn't designed to do so you really have to batter it till you get it....once you're in the zone, there is nothing like it and you wont regret it. Good luck.

I am definitely going to stick at it mate. At 38 it might take me a lot longer to learn than most and I might never get to a really high standard, but I just need need to be able to get myself round a keyboard to be able to make electronic music. I know I will get there in the end with the piano, it is the drums I am really struggling with lol.

I am definitely going to stick at it mate. At 38 it might take me a lot longer to learn than most and I might never get to a really high standard, but I just need need to be able to get myself round a keyboard to be able to make electronic music. I know I will get there in the end with the piano, it is the drums I am really struggling with lol.

Be aware when you are having lessons mate, most teachers have you doing stuff like scales, modes and stuff. That's all fine but it puts people off. I do a bit of teaching myself and find that people tend to stick with it more if I teach them what they want to learn, like a particular song or tune. It holds their interest far better than going through the motions of theory and stuff. My philosophy is get in at the deep end and learn from there. A few years back, I spent an entire year teaching somebody who had never touched a guitar Mood for a Day by Steve Howe of yes. A pretty complex neo classical piece because that was what he wanted to learn. The more comfortable he became with a guitar, the more he picked up other things along the way. If he only ever played one thing, it was a cracker..:o)
PS. YouTube is you friend..I've learnt loads of stuff off there. Peter Gabriel's Salisbury Hill being the last thing. Didn't realise it had an oddball time signature and is a pretty difficult piece to play. Harder than it sounds on the record for sure.

Be aware when you are having lessons mate, most teachers have you doing stuff like scales, modes and stuff. That's all fine but it puts people off. I do a bit of teaching myself and find that people tend to stick with it more if I teach them what they want to learn, like a particular song or tune. It holds their interest far better than going through the motions of theory and stuff. My philosophy is get in at the deep end and learn from there. A few years back, I spent an entire year teaching somebody who had never touched a guitar Mood for a Day by Steve Howe of yes. A pretty complex neo classical piece because that was what he wanted to learn. The more comfortable he became with a guitar, the more he picked up other things along the way. If he only ever played one thing, it was a cracker..:o)
PS. YouTube is you friend..I've learnt loads of stuff off there. Peter Gabriel's Salisbury Hill being the last thing. Didn't realise it had an oddball time signature and is a pretty difficult piece to play. Harder than it sounds on the record for sure.

I am doing all the scales mate and it does not bother me. I do not mind doing the technical and theoretical stuff. I just think of the Karate Kid when I do them, wax on, wax off. Give me a couple of years and I will be doing spinning bird kicks.
Have learnt a few tunes so far (Eminem - Lose yourself for one). The stuff I am into though, the lad who is teaching me has no idea who they are. He had no idea what I was talking about when I said that I would like to learn Strings of Life.
I will deffo stick at it though.

Just listened to you entire back catalogue there mate. You have the bones of some good competent stuff. They just needed a few more layers; BV's, background wash, general production tinkering in my opinion then you will have the makings of some pretty good stuff.
Well done.

Cheers fella, just rough basic demos really, acoustic guitar and vocals.

All very true.

I am doing all the scales mate and it does not bother me. I do not mind doing the technical and theoretical stuff. I just think of the Karate Kid when I do them, wax on, wax off. Give me a couple of years and I will be doing spinning bird kicks.
Have learnt a few tunes so far (Eminem - Lose yourself for one). The stuff I am into though, the lad who is teaching me has no idea who they are. He had no idea what I was talking about when I said that I would like to learn Strings of Life.
I will deffo stick at it though.

Good stuff. I was taken for piano lessons for the first time as a six year old and just kept plugging away over the years. I suppose it's easier when you are a child as you don't really understand what you are doing and you just practice, but it paid dividends later on.

Like someone else said, it does just sort of come together and you can play what you want.

It took me years to learn how to play the piano as a child and I don't know if I could do it as an adult, so my hat goes off to you.

What I will say is when you can play it as you would like, it is a very rewarding experience, and well worth the effort.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.