Give yourself advice

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Okay, simple really
If you could get in touch with yourself at 15 years old, what 3 pieces of advice would you give yourself ?

Don't worry about what others think about you. Have confidence in yourself you CAN do it. Take time to enjoy what you have not worry about what you want.

I ended up doing a job for 42 years that I never liked

I'd tell myself to work my bollocks of and get an hons degree in medicine

I'd also say don't ever smoke

No 3 would be to be a lot nicer to my parents as they aged

1 Never start smoking
2 Don't give two shiny shites about what anyone thinks of you - the right people will always love you.
3 Don't doubt yourself-believe!

It's a funny one because I massively underperformed in my A levels, mainly because I fell in love for the first time. How sad does that sound?!

So part of me would want to go back and tell myself to stay focused in my upper sixth. I wonder where I'd be and what would I be doing now, if I'd taken a different path in 1988.

On the other hand, I've had what I consider to be an hugely interesting life since 1991. Lots of big ups and downs, but a pretty amazing ride for the last 25 or so years. If I'd had a more 'conventional' career path, I might have got 'further' in terms of wealth and standing, but I reckon the experience will have been discernibly less fulfilling overall.

So I probably wouldn't go back and have that conversation. Plus, if I do that, I might fuck up the whole space time continuum and life since September 1st 2008 might no longer be reality. In the event, that might seriously negate any potential benefits of being seriously rich.

"City, ruining my time travel experience since September 1st 2008."

Give myself enough winners to never have to work.

Don't smoke.

Don't Shag my ex the last time before we split up, found out 7 months later she was pregnant. I love my son from her but the financial burden of the CSA almost crippled me, Mrs Moon and our other son the latter two who were inocent parties in it all.

1) Be kind first, there will be plenty of time for all the other feelings later, if necessary.

2) There isn't "No," only "Not at this very moment," so never give up.

3) Pay yourself first (from day one), but use some of it to give yourself permission to never turn down new experiences.

Because I have changed careers twice (Football, Finance, Aviation), it made my "start in life" a bit delayed and made me more conservative about saving and not spending on some experiences we probably could have had. Now that I'm 53, I realize I could have spent a few more bucks on those experiences along the way and still been OK, but paying for college for myself and my kids, while buying a bigger, more expensive home as they grew, then having my company go bankrupt (50% pay cut and loss of pension) created a much more conservative me than I would have preferred. Anyone who knew me when I was younger or in college would laugh at the thought of me being conservative (small c) at all, but then I don't have the same Afro I had back then, either!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.