Who will solve the defensive frailties to ensure the title?

IMO we need another quality CH as well as a pacey quality DM. Without doing so I can't see us getting past Chelsea for the title.
Believe it or not I have been trolling the board for expressing the same view. Goodbye to my friends on Bluemoon. Given up on this forum, but I'll always be a City fan.

Believe it or not I have been trolling the board for expressing the same view. Goodbye to my friends on Bluemoon. Given up on this forum, but I'll always be a City fan.
giphy_s.gif

Outside last season, Pep Guardiola has had the best defensive record in the league in every single season he's been a professional manager. All with one "deep lying midfielder" in front of the defence.

We also conceded the fewest shots on goal I believe, which is generally a sign of the defence working well.

Defence wasn't the problem last year. We conceded pretty much the same amount of goals we usually do since we switched to attacking football.

We lacked goals. About 20 of them.

Agree. That has been our main problem. Not the goalkeeper. Not the defence. Simply not taking our chances. Although it must be said we hit the woodwork more than anyone else I believe. And we had bad luck with refereeing decisions (bad luck as in 'agenda').
New powerful fullbacks will hopefully improve us in whatever way. And if Kompany can reduce his number of missed games by half ... well, it could turn out to be some season. Could!

We also conceded the fewest shots on goal I believe, which is generally a sign of the defence working well.
No that's a sign of us having stacks of possession. Once the opposition get a chance they tend to score.

No that's a sign of us having stacks of possession. Once the opposition get a chance they tend to score.

Firstly, it's not, because the number of shots we concede is much better than teams with similar possession.

Secondly, having possession is the first line of defence. It is the most effective method of defending, and only an idiot would dismiss it as a form of defending.

Agree. That has been our main problem. Not the goalkeeper. Not the defence. Simply not taking our chances. Although it must be said we hit the woodwork more than anyone else I believe. And we had bad luck with refereeing decisions (bad luck as in 'agenda').
New powerful fullbacks will hopefully improve us in whatever way. And if Kompany can reduce his number of missed games by half ... well, it could turn out to be some season. Could!
welcome back Kevin Keegan, I do not know if you noticed but good defences nave won the league for decades, perhaps you are a doctor and are going to fix Kompany or perhaps you are god and turn back his age if so can you turn Kolorov and Ottamendi into premiership standard players?
If not can we have a good player to play alongside Stones when Kompany is out suspended or injured it will benefit him hugely

We have the best defensive record with Kompany, Lescott, Richards, Zabaleta & Kolarov when Mancini was on charge.

Sometimes its not about the player only, its about the system mostly.

Mancini adopted defensive system while Pep adopted attacking attracting system.

Last edited:
welcome back Kevin Keegan, I do not know if you noticed but good defences nave won the league for decades, perhaps you are a doctor and are going to fix Kompany or perhaps you are god and turn back his age if so can you turn Kolorov and Ottamendi into premiership standard players?
If not can we have a good player to play alongside Stones when Kompany is out suspended or injured it will benefit him hugely

I'm not God despite a lot of people referring to me as God. Who's next ...
Meanwhile go and listen to a few Pep interviews. Or read about how he sees the game of football. And fasten your seatbelt while your at it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.