Centre back options

Seems Pep has decided Vinny is going to stay fit.

Like many before him.
Do you believe in the tooth fairy too? - what else do you expect him to say?

Of course we will get another centre half, we only have 6 defenders at the moment, Pep is not stupid.

I'd hazard a guess that assuming we get Sanchez then we will probably look to bring in a cheap experienced defender, someone happy to not play too often at the back end of career.

Small left-footed ball-playing CB, same type of defender as L.Hernandez. Good, but not of a star level. If we're buying him, hope it's a rotational solution and we're getting someone better next summer to replace Ota. Better fit than Mangala, no doubt. The only concern is that we would lack powerful tall defenders in case Komps needs rest.

Half the challenges shown in this video would result in red cards if he was wearing a City shirt.

Do you believe in the tooth fairy too? - what else do you expect him to say?

Of course we will get another centre half, we only have 6 defenders at the moment, Pep is not stupid.

I'd hazard a guess that assuming we get Sanchez then we will probably look to bring in a cheap experienced defender, someone happy to not play too often at the back end of career.

The beauty of Danilo is it may allow Mendy to play as an emergency CB, should we need to, however, no 25/30m cb is an upgrade on Mangala, we'd be nuts, especially in this market.... ffs I've heard Gibson being banded about..

Now if we can pick up a worldy for 30m then sound, however the reason we're over stocked with 'good CBs' rather than the 'very good' is rushing in to panic buys for the position...... I think we risk it for 12 months and literally steamroll teams with our potential attack!

The beauty of Danilo is it may allow Mendy to play as an emergency CB, should we need to, however, no 25/30m cb is an upgrade on Mangala, we'd be nuts, especially in this market.... ffs I've heard Gibson being banded about..

Now if we can pick up a worldy for 30m then sound, however the reason we're over stocked with 'good CBs' rather than the 'very good' is rushing in to panic buys for the position...... I think we risk it for 12 months and literally steamroll teams with our potential attack!
Hence why I reckon we may go down the experienced route of a 30something year old, couple of mil or freebie/loan, that can happily not expect too much game time except in emergencies.

Funnily enough was just talking to my lad about Mangala this morn, it's handy we've got someone already in the ranks that could fit in, but I still think we will move him on.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is Pep putting his faith in Vinny. He has said he can't 'trust' him. Now he can. Huge gamble.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is Pep putting his faith in Vinny. He has said he can't 'trust' him. Now he can. Huge gamble.

To a degree but the very fact we have decent fullbacks in position will make the shortcomings of certain pairings look minimal...

This is city we're talking about though, there's a high percentage we lose the whole back line within a month and we play dinho and yaya there for 6 months (:

We're going to have serious problems next season if we have to rely on Mangala at some point. He's a woeful player who, like Joe Hart, shines only when we have our backs to the wall for ninety minutes and he has a fight on his hands. Personally, I think his athleticism is the only thing he has going for him and that opposition identify him as the weak link. Often when he plays for us the other team will press and press and press until it reaches Mangala and then they'll just give him as much time as he wants while marking everyone else as they know there's zero danger for them when he's on the ball. His first touch is consistently shocking and how anyone could miss that is beyond me.

Believe it or not, I have a soft spot for him and would love nothing more than to be proven wrong and for him to become a success for us but he'd have to change virtually everything about his game for that to happen.

We're trying to put together a world class squad here and the centre back position is one where we're seriously lacking. An injury to Kompany and we're left with Stones and Otamendi, neither of whom are currently anywhere near world class, with Tosin and Mangala as backup, both of whom are midtable quality at best.

I'll take a lot of stick for this post but I've been reading all the 'give Mangala a chance' comments and honestly can't believe people have that much faith in him.

Spot on !

Is Boateng totally out of the question? He's the type we need to come in when Vinny isn't fit (and would play with Vinny when he is) but I suspect he wouldn't be available for <£40m?

I'm not sure I agree with that. We were after Mangala for ages, and John Stones was also a very considered buy. Otamendi was a bit more spur of the moment (relatively) I think, but I don't think we've been panic-buying defenders, we just haven't been great at identifying great ones.

But yeah, I agree. We'd have to pay at least £30m to get someone as good as Mangala in this market and we'd probably get less than £20m back for him, so it makes no sense to bring another player in as cover, unless that player is far more suited to our system, or more versatile.

for me its all down the formation pep is going to use at the back does he go for 3 at the back with 2 wing backs or use the hold midfield in a 4.4.2 like he did with yaya last season i don't think we really need another centre back unless its a world class player comes on the market even if we have to keep mangala he can be used in a 3 and maybe a holding midfield role of yaya could work for mangala

down the line yes we need to replace kompany but i have a feeling its his time this season and he will be close to player of the season a steady 8 and above all season pep is going to let the football flow and teams will not be good enough to stop manchester city going forward and having the ball and i can see the ball spending more time in the other teams box or just around it so the back 3 or 4 will be given a free role at times

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.