West Brom (League Cup) Post match thread

Shocking performance in the 2nd half - why the difference?
Mangala and Delph nowhere near the level needed either - worrying we have these as back up.

I thought Mangala played excellent. What did he do wrong away from two misplaced passes? Nearly scored & also started the move for the first goal just as he did for the 4th goal at home against Liverpool. As for Delph he was decent playing some good passes & did a lot of running, he also put Sane in 1v1 who should have made it 2-0. Add to that he was playing between two positions & one of them wasn't natural to him. Both played well especially Mangala.

Shocking performance in the 2nd half - why the difference?
Mangala and Delph nowhere near the level needed either - worrying we have these as back up.
You were banging your pathetic drum prior to the game so you had obviously made your mind up irrespective of their performances.

However,to put you straight.....both played well,and as second string players,they are excellent options and not worrying at all.

Just commenting on some players of note:

Gundogan looked class considering he hasnt played a proper game in like 9 months, not many players are capable of that. Hopefully he is back up and running soon.

Sane's close ball control is really improving and he is looking more than a Bale-like speedster I thought he might be, he had some silky turns and got involved helping build play. Great goals too.

Delph I thought did pretty good before getting booked for a nothing tackle, after that and with Gundogan going off he looked a bit uneasy. Looks a capable enough backup to Mendy.

Mangala did surprisingly well but against a better side I wouldn't trust his passing under pressure.

Yaya I have to say did nothing of note all game, not sure if it was fitness or age but he contributed little other than helping play tick over. Felt we needed him to step up and take control after Gundogan went off.

B Silva is still settling in but looks a good player and with time will be a worthy successor to Silva. He still seems uncomfortable in midfield at times, maybe a little timid, which is expected in the same way Silva and Kev took time to adapt. Felt he went missing after Gundogan went off.

Build up to the first goal - 54 passes, WBA first touch is the save off Gundogan.

Anyone know if Pep commented on this?

Just interested, because i know counting passes is great an all, but he does hate the U-Shape no risk passing.

There is a ton of U-Shape passing in this.

I get the impression he wont have been that impressed, or made a big deal of it...

I thought Mangala played excellent. What did he do wrong away from two misplaced passes? Nearly scored & also started the move for the first goal just as he did for the 4th goal at home against Liverpool. As for Delph he was decent playing some good passes & did a lot of running, he also put Sane in 1v1 who should have made it 2-0. Add to that he was playing between two positions & one of them wasn't natural to him. Both played well especially Mangala.

OK I'm being over critical but Radio Manchester said he was jittery and the highlights I saw he looked ok in parts and other parts nervous.
I just think he doesn't have a lot of confidence maybe at times.

Anyone know if Pep commented on this?

Just interested, because i know counting passes is great an all, but he hates the U-Shape no risk passing.

There is a ton of U-Shape passes in this.

I get the impression he wont have been that impressed, or made a big deal of it...

No, you're not seeing the difference between meaningless passing and what that was which was very purposeful.

If you watch that, when the ball goes backwards, it's so it can quickly go sideways, and the bal is worked from one side of the pitch to the other until West Brom lose their shape, they're not compact anymore but spread across the width of the pitch, and in the end when Mangala plays the ball to Sterling, 3/4 West Brom players are near him, and no one is in the middle which is why Gundogan and Sané have so much space to score in the middle.

Look at it again, see how much of it is one touch, quick passing, how players commit defenders to pressing them before moving the ball on, how the whole team is shifting across the pitch and making defenders follow them.

That's not meaningless, U shaped passing, it's the opposite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.