City v Stoke post match

Something I have noticed so far this season is Pep appears to be playing a settled side every game without making a lot of changes. Last season he may have been experimenting but he quickly found out the premier league is tough and it is difficult to make a lot of changes and coast through what looks on paper an easy fixture. Our performance was incredible on Saturday when you consider almost all our team was away on international duty.

You have to experiment to find solutions to problems. If you look at the rotations we were making, it was mostly in the back 4 as Pep tried to find a way to make something work.

To me, in an ideal world, rotation across the season would play out like this -

1) Keep a relatively settled side until December, getting everyone involved but generally establishing momentum, getting to the top of the league with a little lead, qualifying from our CL group. Rotation is mostly for the league cup.

2) Then from December to March games come much thicker and faster, a lot more rotation, saving key players' energy, keeping things fresh, making sure the whole squad is match fit and ready to step in if needed because the first choice gets injured. Gundogan, Danilo, Bernardo should all be playing almost as much as the first choices in this period. Any January signings would presumably also come into things at this point.

3) Late March, April and May where we hit the business end of things, stability in the team again in the latter stages of the big competitions, but can bring squad players in as and when needed because they've already played a decent amount of games and got up to the level required in stage 2.

I think if you rotate too much now, we wouldn't be seeing the consistency of results we're getting, and if we don't rotate in the December-March rush then we'll see players burn out, get injured and be replaced by guys with very little football.

Bloody Nora, just heard Merson's post match comments. He could not have been more complimentary if we'd paid him.

"Just brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant." Then about the lad Edwards, "He'll never forget that... he's played against one of the best teams he will ever play against". Finished with "Going forward they were an absolute pleasure to watch. I feel embarrassed I didn't pay to watch them."

Leaving Wembley after the Arsenal defeat in the semi there was some serious criticism of Pep from some older guys which baited some pro Pep younger supporters, it was nasty and led to some scuffles. I wonder how those fickle fans are feeling now? Less than a season and some wanted Pep out.

Many posters on here saying Pep was no better or even worsen than Pellegrini, well after the Stoke performance it would be good to get some feedback.

So you're fickle if you thought last season was well below what was expected ? Pep last season seemed very stubborn and yes people were annoyed. I'm not sure many people wanted him out though, maybe a slight exaggeration by you. However this season looks like everything is clicking in to place.
I said on Saturday night whoever finishes above us this season will win the league and must be one hell of a side

I agree, however I think all players and Managers always need at least two full seasons in the PL to adjust, look at Spanish Dave, fairly quiet first campaign but now challenging the King as the greatest ever City player.

In my 48 years of watching City I can honestly say the last two games are probably the best two consecutive performances I've ever seen, spine tingling football.
I agree. The game at Stamford Bridge was so impressive. As was the win against Liverpool

It crossed my mind that Liverpool and Chelsea's poor results after we beat them are in part down to the psychological damage we inflicted on them.

The players and team are growing before our eyes. Winning and winning well is important and it reinforces the trust the players have in the coach I would think. Who wouldn't run an extra mile if it made you a better player and made the team successful. I think the belief that might have wavered last season in the coach is back.

I am amazed that nothing has been really raised about Sterlings goal at weekend, the build up play was absolutley unbelieveable, god knows how many passes in the build up and the speed and accuracy was outstanding.

As close to a perfect goal as you could wish to see, if this was scored by a Brazil national team it would be shown for years to come.

I am amazed that nothing has been really raised about Sterlings goal at weekend, the build up play was absolutley unbelieveable, god knows how many passes in the build up and the speed and accuracy was outstanding.

As close to a perfect goal as you could wish to see, if this was scored by a Brazil national team it would be shown for years to come.

I think it was 15 passes, starting from a cheeky backheel by Otamendi. Surely someone has a vid :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.