Door advice

1an3

Can anybody tell me where I might be able to get a door for the back of my garage? Its is 1755x818mm, which appears to be a very non-standard size (in terms of what I can buy from B&Q, wickes, Howdens, etc.

I suspect I'm looking at a bespoke job, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

From what I've read it appears to be a Framed, Ledged, Braced door? The framed bit being to stop differences in temperature twisting the 'planks' too much.
I'll try and add a photo of the current smashed-in back door.

Ta muchly.

h8OnWnS.jpg

LSY6Fgd.jpg

Last edited:
Remove door, check framework, by the look of your photos the framework is not bad, so just remove all the panels off front, then repair any bits of doors main frame, coat with heavy duty wood preserve. Then put new panels on the front but coat with preserve before assembly, then finish front with another coat. Re-hang the door. Should only take couple hrs, mostly waiting for preserve to be absorbed and dry.

Remove door, check framework, by the look of your photos the framework is not bad, so just remove all the panels off front, then repair any bits of doors main frame, coat with heavy duty wood preserve. Then put new panels on the front but coat with preserve before assembly, then finish front with another coat. Re-hang the door. Should only take couple hrs, mostly waiting for preserve to be absorbed and dry.

The only bit of the frame of the door which is iffy is on the external side near the bolt.
I was sort of hoping it could be patched. The FIL is a retired joiner and he's going to take a look at weekend.

Best thing to do, I did 3 at my old place, and they looked much worse than yours, they looked brand new when finished. Very easy job really, just make sure you have everything at hand before you start (otherwise it becomes one of those jobs I can finish tomorrow) and paint all panels before you start. The only other way would be have one made, then you'll be paying best part of 150.00.

Bet that slate keeps all manner of robbers and creatures out :)
Yeah I thought that. In my defence it was the previous occupier that had that there. I saw next door's cat in the garden the other day, he walked up to the slate. Gave me a look as if to say "you think that's gonna stop me, prick?" and just stepped over it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.