For those that saw both live who was better?

Silva, all day long. King Colin was my hero for many a year but we are playing at a much higher level now. That's not to say CB couldn't have done it now had he been around now but that is something we will never know.

Think this thread should be Bell v KDB, because Bell and Silva are two different kind of players. Both brilliant and our best at the rolls they play/played. However, Kevs now pressing Bell for his accolade because he is now on a different level to anybody in the premier league. Is he better than Bell ? I think that can only be answered by the older crew who have seen both. Unfortunately, I was too young to watch King Colin. :-(

Bell stood out in an era when standards were very different to those today. He was a more energetic player than Silva but technique wise you would have to say Silva is better.
It ultimately comes down to subjectivity. Many of today’s players contribute to our success as a team but Bell really did drive our team’s success back then and to me that makes him a more influential presence.
Still love Silva though....

I always remember after that cnut Buchan hacked the king, every England defeat for years, the commentators always pointed out that the national team were badly missing Bell. At that time he’d virtually become England’s number one player, he ran the midfield and was an all so important goal scorer.

What a night that LC quarter was, I remember as a young southerner that I watched it on the midweek match, we totally stuffed the rags 4-0, but I don’t think anyone at the time realised how serious his injury was.

That lead to Tueart’s overhead in the final, The TV showing Dave Watson having his eye stitched in the changing rooms after the match, and I’m sure it was the king shouting “what about the two in the first half?” About misses when Tueart was interviewed about his goal. I always tingle recalling Brian Moore saying Donachie, got Barnes outside him but he’s prepared to float it in towards Tommy Booth. Oh and what a goal!!!” Does anyone else remember this?

Silva is a sublime player in a totally different category to Colin. I agree with the comparisons are more suited to KDB, I think if he continues with his form, he could rightly be compared to the king.

Silva is Spain's 4th all time goal scorer and scored in a World Cup final not bad for a player who is not a goal scorer

I've seen them both, but as stated by previous posters, I think KDB is fast approaching a different level, and might easily be a ballon d'or contender, come the end of the season.

Silva, all day long. King Colin was my hero for many a year but we are playing at a much higher level now. That's not to say CB couldn't have done it now had he been around now but that is something we will never know.
He looked OK when I saw him on the pitch on Sunday! But that's God for you - turns up when you least expect Him too. (So my religious friends say)

However, as many have pointed out, a truer comparison would be between him and KDB in terms of what they do/did on the pitch. Silva is the best player I've seen, ability wise, whereas Bell and KDB have a greater range of assets they can/did bring into play.
I've watched all 3 since their debuts (including Bell's for Bury - against City as a 17 year old) and all 3 were/are/will be legends at this club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.