On Boxing Day 40 Years Ago

Was at the league Cup game when Buchan crippled him , ref didnt even give a free kick , Buchan missed the ball completely and the ref played on , Colin went down like he had been shot and he wasnt the type of player to go down easily , he was as hard as nails , dont think there was any genuine malice in Buchans challenge just a really poor tackle .But the 2nd half against Newcastle was the most emotionally charged 45 minutes i ever experienced at Maine Road i was in the Platt Lane and i remember my dad struggling to keep a stiff upper lip whilst many around us me included couldnt. The King was cut down in his prime and much like Paul Lake you wonder how it could have turned out for these players.

That was my first ever game seeing City.
Thanks Dad
Good job your old man said be a City fan.
Was at the league Cup game when Buchan crippled him , ref didnt even give a free kick , Buchan missed the ball completely and the ref played on , Colin went down like he had been shot and he wasnt the type of player to go down easily , he was as hard as nails , dont think there was any genuine malice in Buchans challenge just a really poor tackle .But the 2nd half against Newcastle was the most emotionally charged 45 minutes i ever experienced at Maine Road i was in the Platt Lane and i remember my dad struggling to keep a stiff upper lip whilst many around us me included couldnt. The King was cut down in his prime and much like Paul Lake you wonder how it could have turned out for these players.
November 12th 1975. A date etched indelibly in my memory. In the Kippax for both matches. IIRC, the referee when Buchan didn't foul him was Jack Taylor, a well known Wolverhampton butcher, who allegedly had his meat supplied by a company called Louis C Edwards and co (although this may be hearsay). I do know that he reffed the rags a lot in those days, and was very lenient towards them. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose.

Stood up that day in the corner next to the north stand with my dad,we both filled up second half when he came on,even though it goes down as his comeback game,he actually played parts of games at the end of that same season 75/76, then he dissapeared for operations and rehab,seems like 2 years ago...

As someone who was fortunate to be there on that day, I have to say that the outpouring of love and emotion on the Kippax when the KING came out for the second half is something that is impossible to describe. I have only experienced something similar with City twice since then: when we beat the rags at Wembley in the 2011 semi-final, and that Agüero moment in 2012.

We now have a new king in David Silva, but for many seasons I was lucky enough to witness the best midfielder in the league.

LONG LIVE THE KING!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.