The Pink!

Used to get one outside Maine Road - remember many of the scores were latest scores - and you’d be surprised when you saw the final scores on the News before MOTD.

Happy days,my dad would be on the settee half pissed,get some change off the fireplace son and get us the pink.all the blokes hanging about waiting for the van to fly past and chuck the bundle out and just like the other lad said,walnut whip for me mum 1/2 pound of nut brittle for the old man and them coconut japs,(fuckin awful)Texan chew bar for me and r/kid.get home dukes of hazard.was jim’ll fix it on about that time as well.pink panther also.sausage butties for tea then starsky and hutch and match of the day
Fuckin ace

I suppose after Hazel Grove it made it to Poynton, i can't imagine it going to much further, Macc at the limit i reckon. That is a pure guess though. @jonah62 you would not happen to know how far out it distributed would you boss?
It went as far as Blackpool for sure....
In 1991 I went to Dublin for a weekend with a few lads and one of them said he was off to get some Sunday papers. I jokingly said ''Get the Pink'' and he came back with it!
The following weekend I bought it back in Manchester and sure enough, the price on it said 30p (or whatever it was) and the equivalent price in the Irish punt

Last edited:
Usually timed it so when we got off the bus in Rochdale, after a game, we could pick it up at the bottom of Drake St.

Used to walk up to the newsagents to pick it up about 6pm

If i was at my grandmas my grandad would bring home a copy after having a few pints in the clough hotel in blackley. Someone would go in the pub selling them

I suppose after Hazel Grove it made it to Poynton, i can't imagine it going to much further, Macc at the limit i reckon. That is a pure guess though. @jonah62 you would not happen to know how far out it distributed would you boss?

It definitely got as far as Whaley Bridge, because the same bloke used to walk in all the pubs with a bag of Pink Finals, every Saturday night, around 7pm.

Sorry for the late reply as I’m here in Tasmania what with the time zones and Xmas etc
I do remember the van drivers having drop offs at Victoria & Piccadilly stations for various trains so honestly don’t know how far the Pinks reach was

During the 90s whilst in the Navy Me mam used to get this every Saturday and post it out to me on a Monday morning to wherever I was in the world, I loved my little bit of Manchester turning up even if it was usually weeks out of date

Sorry for the late reply as I’m here in Tasmania what with the time zones and Xmas etc
I do remember the van drivers having drop offs at Victoria & Piccadilly stations for various trains so honestly don’t know how far the Pinks reach was
Got it in knutsford and Warrington no problem, was always a highlight of Saturday night read all the reports and as a kid stuck all the city pictures on my wall in my bedroom.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.