Elvis

Johnny Ray is the godfather of rock n roll, he influenced Elvis and everyone who followed, and he was deaf in one ear.

Come on Eileen opening lyrics.

Poor old Johnnie Ray,
Sounded sad upon the radio;
He moved a million hearts in Mono.
Our mothers cried;
Sang along, who’d blame them.

We didn't start the fire opening lyrics

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray.

Elvis covered his songs.
Robert Johnson mate:

Rock and roll
Johnson's greatest influence has been on genres of music that developed after his death: rock and roll and rock. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame included four of his songs in a set of 500[80] they deemed to have shaped the genre:

Johnson recorded these songs a decade and a half before the advent of rock and roll, dying a year or two later. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted him as an early influence in its first induction ceremony, in 1986, almost a half century after his death. Marc Meyers, of the Wall Street Journal, wrote that "His 'Stop Breakin' Down Blues' from 1937 is so far ahead of its time that the song could easily have been a rock demo cut in 1954."

Johnny Ray:

Ray was significantly influenced by gospel music[32] and numerous African American singers, specifically Billie Holiday[15], Little Miss Cornshucks and LaVern Baker, as well as Kay Starr[33].

Johnny Ray is the godfather of rock n roll, he influenced Elvis and everyone who followed, and he was deaf in one ear.

Come on Eileen opening lyrics.

Poor old Johnnie Ray,
Sounded sad upon the radio;
He moved a million hearts in Mono.
Our mothers cried;
Sang along, who’d blame them.

We didn't start the fire opening lyrics

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray.

Elvis covered his songs.

He's from my home state. From a little coastal hovel called Dallas. There was a birthday celebration for him a few years back but nobody much noticed. His memory was pretty much erased by Rock N' Roll. Sad. Even Dylan name checked him as an early influence.

Robert Johnson + Elvis = Led Zeppelin. Some people will try and tell you that Zep and Elvis stole off Johnson and blues directly, and of course they did but most if not all of the early copyrighted blues songs are just variations on old work songs. Its always been that way, even Jacko's "Bad" is about one note off from the riff off Zep's "Heartbreaker". As a previous poster said i don't see why Elvis being inspired from "Black" music should be a negative, and anyway its better than Ed fuckin Sheeran.

A true great.

Is he not allowed to have influences from black musicians? His music took it to a whole new level, in my opinion of course.

What was the legal consent at the time he married by the way? Genuine question I don’t know.

It depends on the State,still does and child brides still happen.

Robert Johnson I will give you, but it was Sister Rosetta Tharpe that teed it all up for what followed....

Robert Johnson + Elvis = Led Zeppelin. Some people will try and tell you that Zep and Elvis stole off Johnson and blues directly, and of course they did but most if not all of the early copyrighted blues songs are just variations on old work songs. Its always been that way, even Jacko's "Bad" is about one note off from the riff off Zep's "Heartbreaker". As a previous poster said i don't see why Elvis being inspired from "Black" music should be a negative, and anyway its better than Ed fuckin Sheeran.
The thing is, before Elvis, millions of western teenagers had nothing to be excited about musically, then when he hit the radio waves, bang, they had something to identify with......his look, his moves, his anti-establishment stance.....thats what Lennon was on about, most people born 1940 to 1950 were immediately into Elvis, he was a god, yes he sang R & B & Blues stuff, based on the black blues singers.....but to be fair nobody had heard of those guys and they didnt move like Elvis, they had no sex appeal, if anything people like Elvis and Eric Clapton helped to make a lot of Blues guys like Robert Johnson into household names. BB King has expressed this many times.

Jailhouse Rock was an immediate turn on both visually and soundwise. The like of which the world had never seen.
The music world changed from that moment.
Then, later, the army and Col Parker fucked Elvis up, had him making all those movies and allowing his life to be ruled by pretty bad people. Leading to a sad depressed end.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.