City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Its been 2 or 3 tier for about 20 years, united created the first gap, fortunately we were able to breach the gap in 2008.
Yes. Let's not forget, United were part of the initial 'Cartel', when the Sky money started arriving.
I can remember, Abramovic's Chelsea being clapped out at OT as champions, the ground was absolutely deserted before the end.
Those Irish lads sold to the Glaziers, the very next day.
There was room for Chelsea in their cosy top 4, but when our investment arrived, that was it. "They can't do that! Change the rules"! Shithouses

I think we are very hard to target on our own now.

The multi club structure is probably the most unique aspect, but I can’t see what they can target there that we are currently doing.

The academy could also be seen as a target but it will be a hard sell to stop investment in youth.

The transfer spend thing cannot happen, deals are structured way to complicated and other factors come into them that it would take a lot to monitor and have rules for this.

The all powerful Gill will also not want this so I would not expect it to happen.

If a player has a release clause of above £100mil would that mean they are unobtainable forever or is their contract redrafted?

Or the fact they were in breach of FFP rules the year we got fined, but got put on monitoring rather than a punishment because the didn't qualify for Europe.
Not quite true as I understand it. They certainly breached FFP rules but were able to claim mitigation under Annex XI, which allowed them to take wages paid in 2012 under contracts signed prior to June 2010 into account. That’s the same provision where they changed the basis of calculation, from one where we could have done the same to one where we then couldn’t. We’d submitted accounts which met the original criteria, which was subsequently changed to a basis that ensured we failed.

Salary caps are not always the panacea for all ills. In baseball teams like the Yankees have a history of just breaking it and paying a fine, in ice hockey they can never agree where to set it and in NFL teams don’t have to pay up to the cap - so dome teams are genuinely uncompetitive- the Buccs - under Glazer - have operated well below the cap.

Sure, but that's because that depends on how the rules are about salary caps and the incentive is to do perform.

MLB, as far as I understand, has extremely lenient cap rules so richer teams can afford to pay the "luxury tax."

American sport also doesn't have relegation and has drafts for clubs that do the worst, so that disincentivises clubs to have to win compared to say European football.

One significant problem is that we tend to look at things as fans, not players. Salary caps restrict the free-market for players, limiting movement and capacity to earn the most the market will dictate based on their extremely unique abilities and what that can do for a club's amibitions/wealth accumulation (i.e. Neymar). If UEFA or whoever go too far one could see the players and agents start to make a bit of a stink about imposing these rules.

Sure, but that's because that depends on how the rules are about salary caps and the incentive is to do perform.

MLB, as far as I understand, has extremely lenient cap rules so richer teams can afford to pay the "luxury tax."

American sport also doesn't have relegation and has drafts for clubs that do the worst, so that disincentivises clubs to have to win compared to say European football.

One significant problem is that we tend to look at things as fans, not players. Salary caps restrict the free-market for players, limiting movement and capacity to earn the most the market will dictate based on their extremely unique abilities and what that can do for a club's amibitions/wealth accumulation (i.e. Neymar). If UEFA or whoever go too far one could see the players and agents start to make a bit of a stink about imposing these rules.
Salary caps are illegal in the EU.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.