FC Basel V Manchester City - Post-Match Thread

That wasn’t Kompany’s view. A drop in intensity would lose the frame of mind that carries them through to each subsequent game.

Actions speak louder than words, especially when you take Kompany’s words out of context. Vinny was clearly talking about intensity in regards to our approach to games, not our intensity when we’re 4-0 up.

No, but he’ll take Sterling’s place straight away.
I don’t think so. I think we can use Bernardo in the fa cup and league cup final. Then if we wrap the league up we can play him most games but sane and sterling on each side are the best option we have. They should play in the games that matter.

Can't discount the weather & pitch conditions. We've been hit with a good cold front here en Suisse and at or below 0C the pitch was slick and difficult to gain very good rhythm. Probably would've been smarter for Basel to continue to pepper the ball long and hope for Oberlin's pace to eventually punish City. Still think Pep had them enter into the match with the proper mindset, even if the result was perhaps not as convincing as others this season. The key is City are heading into the final stretch in all competitions and need to focus on punishing the opponent - that means being clinical, which they largely were.

City had their tails up for a good segment of the match and I recognize that sort of confidence that Pep instills in his team at this juncture in the season, it's palpable and I miss that

What is your opinion of our defensive performance tonight ?

We should have conceded a penalty and were suspect in 3 or 4 other situations where better teams would have punished us. Those are the fine margins in this competition.

Your thoughts ?
We got lucky with the pen but I still think that we would have won, even if it had been awarded and they scored it.
Regarding the good chances that they had, they didn't take them, so that is their misfortune.
With the exception of the De Bruyne /Gundogan goal, the others were not easy to score. I thought that Sergio's goal and Gundogan's 2nd were fabulous strikes.
Basel tried their best to shut us out of their
box, which they did, but they couldn't deal with our shooting from distance.
In the end some of their players were roughing us up because they weren't as skilful and didn't like being dominated at their own ground.
So I say, we were the best team last night, deserved to win, and anyone who can fault our performance needs to give their head a wobble!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.