Best ever Rock song

Black Betty - Ram Jam
Belter of a song that, proves the direct link with Blues and Rock and Roll, and rocks up the Huddie Leadbetter
original brilliantly. Mind you, in this priggish PC age it's a wonder that the lyrics haven't given the handwringers
a fit of the vapours, anyway, hear it is...

Belter of a song that, proves the direct link with Blues and Rock and Roll, and rocks up the Huddie Leadbetter
original brilliantly. Mind you, in this priggish PC age it's a wonder that the lyrics haven't given the handwringers
a fit of the vapours, anyway, hear it is...

I was a rock dj in the late 70s and early 80s and this was banned from various polytechnic and university unions. I think they missed the point of it being originally a black blues song. If anything the lyrics are a little sexist rather than racist but no more so than most rock songs ( as spinal tap said ' whats wrong with sexy?')

Probably my favourite intro of all time at probably my favourite concert of all time. Piss included. The rock band Thunder come out to this as well...it works.

As far as best rock song goes...I prefer mine bluesy, so it's...

But I also love this song, and video...

And this...especially for the slow build up.

There's loads of others, is Bob Seger rock? I love Bob Seger. Same goes for the Eagles. There's hundreds...

Led Zep. Top of my pile.

ABSOBLOODYLUTELY !!! The song that changed rock n roll forever! This is why so many soft/heavy metal bands hold the Kinks in such esteem.

I'd argue it was the Kingmen's Louie Louie that did that, as the riff inspired You Really Got Me (and I Can't Explain, and a whole host of others). But if talking about changing rock and roll, then I would add a very honourable mention to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, because Shakin' All Over wasn't just a seminal rock song, it was a seminal BRITISH rock song. That was huge, and arguably the very first ever from these shores.

I'd argue it was the Kingmen's Louie Louie that did that, as the riff inspired You Really Got Me (and I Can't Explain, and a whole host of others). But if talking about changing rock and roll, then I would add a very honourable mention to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, because Shakin' All Over wasn't just a seminal rock song, it was a seminal BRITISH rock song. That was huge, and arguably the very first ever from these shores.
I know what you're saying pal. We could go on forever with top bands/singers but in my opinion, when Dave Davies razor bladed his amps to make that guitar sound, music was never the same again. You could say Del Shannons runaway or Johnny Leightons Johnny remember me or so many other classic tunes of the day(pre Kinks,Beatles etc)..but this one really changed the direction of music from that day on. And before anybody starts with the 'It was Jimmy Paige' nonesense.. Do one !

But I also love this song, and video...

I find it a bit sad. It was done especially for The Kids Are Alright film, essentially replaying the track in the studio for the cameras. And Moon's physical condition is desperately poor, and it's obvious both in his far below par drumming and his puppy dog behaviour to the others throughout. It's so clear how lost he felt and how insecure about himself and his place in the band. He would be dead a couple of months later.

Sorry, I've probably ruined it for you now!

I know what you're saying pal. We could go on forever with top bands/singers but in my opinion, when Dave Davies razor bladed his amps to make that guitar sound, music was never the same again. You could say Del Shannons runaway or Johnny Leightons Johnny remember me or so many other classic tunes of the day(pre Kinks,Beatles etc)..but this one really changed the direction of music from that day on. And before anybody starts with the 'It was Jimmy Paige' nonesense.. Do one !

Oh sure, wasn't arguing with your choice, just that what you wrote reminded me of it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.