The National Anthem

Its the BRITISH National Anthem although for things like the 6 Nations Ulster, Wales and Scotland do have an unofficial alternatives but England keeps God Save the Queen which does also remain the British anthem - watch todays rugby and you will see the Scots are not averse to booing the national anthem - this one isn't solely an English disease
I think this is the crux of the problem. England needs its own anthem which would be played tomorrow, the fa cup final, rugby internationals and the commonwealth games. National anthem would be for olympics and U.K. wide stuff.

I think this is the crux of the problem. England needs its own anthem which would be played tomorrow, the fa cup final, rugby internationals and the commonwealth games. National anthem would be for olympics and U.K. wide stuff.

I think the main problem is through my 56 years on this planet I have been identified and self identified as Mancunian, Lancastrian, English, British, UK Citizen and EU National. Throughout that time with the help of retaining things like anthems the principalities have kept a national identity - a Welshman will always answer he is Welsh first and foremost

The song wasn't it was about a story of jesus visiting glasto in his widerness years and tieing it in with the landscape at blakes time in england, and as the anglican church used jerusalem to mean heavan on earth, a hope that jesus second coming would be to england to bring eden to our industrial grim country.
But there is no proof JC and his uncle Joe ever visited Glastonbury so it's a pointless having it as our anthem.

But there is no proof JC and his uncle Joe ever visited Glastonbury so it's a pointless having it as our anthem.

What?

I was responding to a post thinking we are singing about the middle eastern city, which clearly the song isn't about, it's about creating heaven on earth(historically refered to as Jerusalem) on Englands green and pleasant land influenced by the JC story and the hoping the second coming will be in England.

It is a song about England and a hope England can be an Eden not the grim industrial land it was at the time, and as the country is still grum in many areas the song seems perfect as a national anthem.

It's mute anyway as if GStQ was just a royal anthem like in New Zealand and other nations lizzie is still head of state, it would get played when a top ranked royal was in attendance at a cup final anyway

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.