Hamburg

Not relevant but I’m going Nuremberg next month. Never been Germany. Wasn’t my pick. Would have preferred Berlin/Munich/Hamburg but that’s my missus for you.
Nuremberg is great, easy to get around and good beer. If you've got kids Playmobil Land is not too far away and is a good day out.

Went to Hamburg on a stag do in October, was fantastic. There’s a few bierkellers and bars both in the centre and down by the river that are worth spending the day and early evening in before heading to the Rieperbahn.

All the ones down by the river have rooftop terraces which are great.

Not been to Hamburg but went to Nuremberg in November (return flight from Manchester for £40 for 2 adults!) and thought it was great.
Really straightforward city to navigate as its not too big or hectic, plenty of interesting sights and of course great food and beer, highly recommended for a cheap weekend away.

Can't beat Germany for a short, easy break to the continent.

@johnmc Nuremberg is a surprisingly beautiful place.The wife took me there for a long weekend a few years ago, and we loved it. The ideal time to go is during Christmas, as it has THE Christmas market, but there's still plenty to see and do for a weekend break. Check out the medieval architecture in the city centre, and definitely visit the castle just for the view over the city. The Nazi rally grounds and accompanying museum are most definitely worth a visit (the football stadium has been built in the grounds, so you might get to check out a game, too!). As someone else has already said, try a Nürnberger-Semmel, a roll (barm, muffin!) filled with three Nürnberger sausages and a choice of ketchup or mustard (Senf). You must try the real local speciality, though - Schäufele, pork shoulder that is so tender and tasty, that the meat just falls from the bone. Try to avoid the city centre tourist traps and head to an area called Gostenhof, just to the west (south-west?) of the city ring road along Fürther Straße. This area appears a little more run-down, but has some fantastic bars and restaurants frequented by locals and students - good prices and value. Of course, it's Bavaria, so enjoy the beer!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.