Champions league support

deegee33

Should we make the final versus a European side, who will the (at that point) neutrals in the UK support? Friends here in the States, supporters of spurs, dippers, arsenal etc. who I have asked tell me there is no way they will support City. Considering the sides they support I'll be happy to be beside them in the pub when we raise the cup. What do fellow blues think?

The people you asked aren’t neutrals though. Also, there aren’t many neutral football people here in England.

Those two points aside, I think it’s varied and personal. My boss is Arsenal season ticket holder and used to hate City but now says he’d support us cos of the relationship we’ve built over the years and I don’t shove our success down his throat, nor their failures, and I was there when we were shit. I wouldn’t mind Arsenal winning it if they were playing Bayern Munich or any team with Ronaldo in it. One of my best friends is a rag but his Dad is blue and so am I, so, bizarrely, he’d prob like us to win if we got there. The feeling isn’t reciprocated in his case, though I would be gracious. Armchair fans of other premier league teams who grew up in the 90’s when football was invented and experience the game through tv/internet probably wouldn’t be cheering us on, especially with us being dirty-oil-money, human rights violating plastic Arabs.

Varied and personal I’d say.

I’ve never bought into the idea that people should want other English clubs to do well in Europe. I almost invariably like to see them lose, so fully understand when that’s reciprocated.

Is it wrong to want any other team to win except an English one? In my youth and into the 1970's I would support any British team in Europe, I even cheared on the rags against Benfica, but after many years of suffering the bile and hatred of many fans from so called top clubs they can f..k off.

Maybe it’s a “big club rival” thing.

All my mates who support other PL or Championship clubs (btw I live in England) love watching City and want them to win both the Prem and the CL.

I’ve never bought into the idea that people should want other English clubs to do well in Europe. I almost invariably like to see them lose, so fully understand when that’s reciprocated.

I think that was invented by the likes of Liverpool & Utd, to shame everyone into making them 'the nation's team' .

I remember loads of rags used to say how they 'can't understand' how anyone would not support an English club in europe. When they thought it was them who would be the strongest. I saw one or two the night Liverpool beat AC Milan. Not very supportive.

I didn't want Liverpool to win it, I didn't want Chelsea to win it, I'm glad Arsenal didn't win it, I sure as fuck didn't want the rags to win it. So why should they want us to win it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.