Stories and songs from 08/09 season

Hi all, would love some help remembering songs and funny incidents from 08/09 season. Anything that you can remember personally from that year would be of a great help. I'm writing a script set around that time and it would be great to hear funny stories or songs that people remember from that season. Mark Hughes had just become manager, we signed Jo, lost to Villa first game of the season and then famously were taken over at the eleventh hour by Sheikh Mansour. Thanks in advance.
Jo is cup-tied

17,000 at Midtjylland, our lowest ever attendance at Eastlands. I was one of the few that wasn't at York but I was at that game and I decided to sit in the North Stand as a one-off cos there were that many spare seats. Shocking game of football and I remember Hughes being slagged off from the get-go (could have been his first game).

I got dumped by my first ever proper girlfriend over that Hamburg game. I was just 18 and we had gone down to Anglesey with her family to stay on some caravan park. I'd said all along and I was going to the match, but for some reason she or the family didn't actually believe I was going until about 2 days before the match. The consequences of attending had been made fairly clear. On the morning of the game I hitched from Benllech to Holyhead and I got the train to Manchester.

It was an odd season. The takeover and feel good factor coupled with clueless having us in the bottom 3 by Christmas.

Jo was fecking useless, Ireland played like he was on steroids for 5 months, Robinho destroyed Stoke and starred in a demolition of Arsenal as we failed to beat shite like West Brom. There was a game where a Pigeon was the most exciting thing to sing about on the pitch, I think a fox on the roof also. It's about the last time I remember seeing the "B of the bang" sculpture outside the stadium.

Most of that October to February seemed to be fucking freezing and dark, the season felt the same especially around December and January. Hamburg was electric, I was in CB L3 and every fucker around me was passing tins around and fucked off their faces jumping about near the top, a real end to end match.

For some reason though, looking back, I fondly remember most of that shite. I fucking hated Hughes. The best song for me was the invisible man for Glauber Berti. He was a pantomime sideshow at times hhaha

Was anyone at the Aston Villa game, first day of the season. What was that like?

Pretty crap in all honesty! Remember Bojinov getting stretchered off in the warm up. Pretty sure Ched Evans played. Agbonlahor ripping us apart for a hat trick was pretty grim and, at that point, the season ahead looked a little worrying!

Not to mention the awful orange kit.

That same year, I was studying French for an A Level and the college would bring in a native speaker as a language assistant each year. The lad in the first year was a bit dull but the lad in the second year was a raving fucking lunatic. Upon learning that I was a City fan, he asked to come to some games with me and I took him along to the City v PSG game that was a boring 0-0 and only memorable for the PSG fans fighting one another. This lad was a Nantes fan and went over at half time to gob off and then vanished off after some of them at full time. Complete nutter and still in touch to this day.

That was the season we played Hamburg in the UEFA Cup quarter final, possibly still the best atmosphere there's been at the Etihad (I was watching it on the telly tbf and it sounded amazing). Elano hit the post about 3 times and Richards had a chance to win it at the death, the lot of them played like men possessed though cracking night even if it wasn't quite enough to go through

Oh there was also the 3-0 loss to Forest in the FA Cup, I was "lucky" enough to be there for that one and was demanding Hughes head at full time haha

Apart from the result that Hamburg game was awesome.
Also remembered for the giant Fergie Cock in the crowd that could clearly be seen of TV lol

Was I so pissed for every game or have you lot got brilliant memories, I was at the Midgetland game (home) but until now couldn't tell you the year or the score. I can't remember much about that season to be honest so well done to the lot of you.

Yeah it was Bojinovs Achilles during the warm up, could hear it snap. Villa fans singing “Where’s all your money gone” because Thaksin had just gone awol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.