Are you on this photo? City getting promoted at Blackburn in 2000

We were in the Walkers Stand with the City end to our left.

I can still remember the eerie silence that followed the rumours that Walsall had equalized at Ipswich. Blackburn hit the post for the 4th time, and then everything changed in 10 magical minutes.

A brilliant day, and still one of my favourite seasons, especially as City seemed to overachieve for the first time in my life.

Is that photo the away end or the home stand? It was hard to tell on the day!! I was there in with the home fans, with my father-in-law who had done some scouting for Blackburn. I was under strict instructions to keep quiet if City scored; even he cheered when our third went in!!

I'm somewhere to the right on that pic, about 3 rows from the back of the bottom tier. It was a very warm day, as if watching City in a crucial match wasn't enough to have us breaking into a sweat! I remember seeing a number of Blackburn S/T holders flogging their voucher to desperate Blues outside the ground, mental atmosphere inside the ground, especially when Blackburn kept hitting the woodwork. And then there was the lads on the hill charging down, I think after we scored the 3rd or 4th goal, and getting in to join the celebrations.

I was there on the upper tier about halfway up on the left as you look at the photo. Incredible day all over. When the goat scored the equalizer it was the biggest relief I’ve ever felt at a match as had been so nervous up til then. Wembley 99 felt different as it was just mental rather than relief. Watching that goal back still gives me a shiver doen my spine just as the Dickov at Wembley and Aguero vs QPR goals do.

I was swinging from the rafters as the goals went in
I made it onto the pitch - think we had to go right to the bottom, outside and back into the bottom tier entrance.

As I was hopping over the wall, I turned around and John Wardle was coming over behind me with his kids! City's biggest shareholder and director doing a pitch invasion!

I was also in the Blackburn end along with thousands of other blues and we weren't celebrating quietly. In fact we went for a beer just before half time and they scored and their fans were apologising for celebrating in front of us.

I was in their staunch end right behind the goal opposite our fans. After they scored I of course didn't celebrate but prior to that I could see them nudging one another and references to me being a City fan being said. I was asked, " You're a City fan aren't you?" Of course it was bloody obvious.

I was told I would be okay in there so long as I didn't jump up if we scored. My main concern after paying a fortune to get in was getting kicked out. We were getting battered until Goater equalised so I had nothing to get excited excited about for ages anyway. The lad to my left who was pretty quiet told me he was a blue as well so we shared those four second half goals in a bit of restrained but delighted glee. They were all scored at our end as well.

In the sides of the ground there was loads of blues openly celebrating and where I was small pockets who were together but they were a distance from me and getting a bit of grief here and there. This was their end, their kippax I suppose so you had to be a bit more conservative than the side areas. As the final whistle blew though I was on the pitch and celebrated long and hard both there and back in Manchester.

Was a great day, managed to get a ticket in their end. There were loads just in the bottom of the main stand nearest the city end. Remember getting back to the Feathers in Chorlton and my mate throwing his ring up as he got off the mini bus

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.