England Squad

Very indifferent towards England (aren't we all?) but at least their appears to be some new faces coming through and not the normal old guard.

For the World Cup I'd go with.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Cahill
Rose

Dier

Alli
Whilshire

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

Go down fighting.

well said, the only thing usual is the normal slating - fans can't get behind England because some players play for a team they dont like.
That's not true at all mate, it's the international brand we don't care for, the team are and have been overrated for 50+ years now, serial failures who as a unit do not put a shift in or play anywhere near their club potential...
it's boring to watch and it usually spells disaster injury wise for the club Each to their own, it's just a personal opinion but it's one held by a significant minority... Don't get me started on some of the fans disgracing themselves and the country either....!

Back 3 is an absolute must.

Play a back 4 with our midfield and central defensive options and I think we will struggle to get out of the groups.

I have a few reasons to dislike the England set-up, and too many rags and dippers is only one of them. My problem is with the FA, they are not fit for purpose. A complete overhaul is needed if we're to produce anything that even looks like a team capable of winning the World Cup.
The FA are a collection of old dinosaurs who couldn't give a fuck about the supporters, they care only about profit margins.

I shall start watching tonight with all good intentions, but I can pretty much guarantee that I'll have lost interest after about 20 minutes. Dull, unadventurous, not a single spark of creativity - might as well have fucking Maureen in charge.

Aside from the goalkeeping situation shouldn't this international break be more for fine tuning rather than still picking your 23 players? Here's my first 11 as things stand going into Russia.

Pope

Walker(rb) Stones(rcb) Maguire(lcb) Rose(lb)

Delph(dm)

Alli (rcm) Lallana(lcm)

Sterling (rwf) Kane (cf) Rashford (lwf)

I think it's good we don't have one player stealing all the focus and attention, we might actually put a balanced team out with chemistry as a result without loads of pressure to win anything, just go and perform.

Down the right hand side of the team I picked I think are the strongest/most straight forward choices.

I think the GK spot is up for grabs, I'm not convinced with Pickford would his distribution go to pot under pressure? Burnley are doing fantastically this season and it's not because they are scoring for fun. We'll need to see how Pope does in his call up, Butland is good shout also.

Lcb is the one I'm not sure on, ideally we would have a left footed player there as it adds balance to the back line, but from a quick look our choices are thin and I believe Maguire is comfortable in that position while offering strength and the ability to play out from the back. Left footed CB options:
Tyrone Mings - Bournemouth: Not having a great season according to his Sqwuaka performance score of -23, while whoscored says he's got a 75% passing accuracy from an average of 33 per game. Ben Gibson - Middlesbrough: Playing in second tier but having a great season with a Sqwuaka performance score of +534... been likened to John Terry in his style of play? Has a 80% passing accuracy near enough from an average of 45 per game.

Defensive midfield we are short on options IMO, Dier and Henderson have had too many chances and failed to impress. Let Delph have a crack at it if he's fit. From defence to midfield I think we should strive for balance based on how well they press or play out from the back(preferably they are good at both), City have the best press in the PL followed by Liverpool and then Spurs.

I'd also like to see how well Lallana can link up with Rashford up top, he should forget trying too hard to score the goals as he normally does and instead concentrate fully on creating and helping the team try to hold onto the ball as much as possible. Alli has to play for me as unlikeable as he is, he can be very good and if things are running smoothly(a big if with Southgate in control) he could maybe even boss the midfield if he pulls his socks up.

Sterling and Rashford seems to be everyone's choice of wingers, pace and attacking intent coming from both sides combined with a good CF can cause havoc for opposition defences hopefully. CF has to be Kane to start with, Vardy is a good option if Kane bottles it as much as I don't like Vardy when we play against him.

Last edited:
Back 3 is an absolute must.

Play a back 4 with our midfield and central defensive options and I think we will struggle to get out of the groups.

Agree. The problem is central midfield. Dier, Wilshire, Henderson, Winks, Delph, Cook, Drinkwater. We are fucked.

3421 is the perfect system for this England side.

For the first 2 games against Tunisia and Panama when they'll have to be the attacking team:
Pickford
Walker-Stones-Maguire
Trippier-Wilshere-Henderson-Rose
Sterling-Alli
Kane

For the Belgium game and Colombia (probably) game, more defensive, break at pace:
Pickford
Dier-Stones-Maguire
Walker-Wilshere-Henderson-Rose
Sterling-Rashford
Kane

There's really no excuse for them to not get out of the group, which seems to be the bar for success this year.

Colombia will almost definitely top their group, if not then it'll be Poland, so you get a game vs. one of those to make a good tounament better than anyone could have expected and reach the 1/4 finals.

If that happens, just avoid humiliation against most likely 1/4 final opponents Germany, and everyone can go home happy, enjoy the rest of the tournament, and no young players need to be scapegoated to ease the Sun readership's feelings of injured national pride.

I wouldn’t take Wilshere or Delph because unfortunately both are a harsh look from a tournament ending injury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.