The Ford Capri

Mum had one in 1978/9 we loved it. Much cooler than the Anglia she had before it.
7498042.jpg
ref-151-ford-capri-mk1-1600-xl-1.jpg

Mk1 was a beauty, my Dad had one in the 70’s those curves were what did it, it lost a bit on the mk2, which was a bit squarer, which my dad also had.
Mk1 was always my favourite, often saw it on American TV shows for some reason

Drove an ex-police 3 litre and it was like shit off a shovel by the standards of the time. Remembered to slow right down for corners.

I had a Mk1 1600 GT XLR Capri. Mid blue with a black vinyl roof (think it had been resprayed). It had the power bulge on bonnet, and I had a similar one in my 19 year old pants.

It had Lucas spotlights fitted, and a fucking radio cassette player!!

I absolutely adored it, even tho I couldn't afford to run it at all. I never taxed or insured it, it was easier to get away with that in the early 80's

It was fitted with a Weber twin choke carburettor. If i put my foot down, the rev counter span to the right, and the fuel gauge to the left at an equivalent speed. It was fearsomely thirsty.

As i couldn't even afford to put petrol in it, it followed that I couldn't maintain or look after it, and it started to rot around me. I had to sell it after 18 months at big loss.

I have no regrets whatsoever, and I had some memorable times in it....

Its funny, in my 20's I had a Spitfire, drove it all over the UK, great little car, I got in one a month ago at a classic car showroom and couldnt believe how I even travelled to the corner shop in it.....

I went in an original mini a few years ago - 3 miles compressed my spine and shook every filling out of my head. And the noise !!! They don't make 'em like they used to do they?

I had this when I was 19. What a car. Had a red 2.0S as well.

Ford_Capri_2.8_Blue_Silver_3.jpg

Mk1 golf was miles better than the capri

Is the correct answer..............all ht hatches were better. By the time they came along the Capri was an early 70's answer to an early 80's question that Ford just soldiered on with. In terms of styling and engines the pretty Mk1 Capri was a flares, kipper tie and sideburns answer to a 70's tweed wearing MGB owner - after that it was over just Ford was able to keep selling them. Remember the UK kept buying the Volvo 340 long after the rest of Europe had given up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.