It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to imagine Isco would be the one forward signing, not him plus a Mahrez/Bailey? He's said he's more comfortable further forward and he's played out wide before.

He's shit out wide for Real though. He's done OK for Spain but they want very different things, Silva is always out wide for Spain but Pep would never put him there for us.

From what we've seen of Pep over these 2 years Isco is a midfielder through and through.

He showed a lot of promise in a midfield 2 under Ancelotti a couple of years ago, and I said at the time he'd be a perfect Yaya replacement but as a pivot in a midfield 3? Not sure.

If he's basically the replacement target for Fred it makes the most sense. Both are 25 year old #8's who carry the ball very well, are very hard to dispossess and have enough grit about them that they could be pushed a little deeper if necessary.

If the pivot options are Fernandinho, Gundogan, [new signing]

and the #8 options are KDB, Silva, Isco, Gundogan, Foden

I guess that would make some sense but it doesn't make him a starter.

Last edited:
He's shit out wide for Real though. He's done OK for Spain but they want very different things, Silva is always out wide for Spain but Pep would never put him there for us.

From what we've seen of Pep over these 2 years Isco is a midfielder through and through.

He showed a lot of promise in a midfield 2 under Ancelotti a couple of years ago, and I said at the time he'd be a perfect Yaya replacement but as a pivot in a midfield 3? Not sure.
I agree actually, but looking through the squad I'm not sure how that works. I could make some sense of signing either Isco plus a winger or Isco plus a pivot but not Isco plus a winger and a pivot. Assuming no outgoings and loans for both Foden and Diaz you'd have:

Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, plus a new winger competing for two spots - depending on who we sign, fine
and KDB, Dave, Isco, Gundogan also competing for two spots

Of those, KDB is going to start nearly every game and if Isco does come it'll be because he's been assured that he'll play, wouldn't leave much for Dave and Gundogan, unless the later is playing deeper but then why buy another pivot?

Whoa! Main man Jose dropping bombs on twitter. I guess thats that then, we'll be spending the summer in another Isco thread.
We still have to negotiate with real though. If Isco has a superb world cup then chances of it happening looks bleak. I wish we cam sign him before that though.

We still have to negotiate with real though. If Isco has a superb world cup then chances of it happening looks bleak. I wish we cam sign him before that though.

With a release clause of €700m, we certainly would need to negotiate. If Zidane is sacked in the summer would Isco think twice on leaving?

Madrid are going to want Coutinho money I reckon. At least £120m anyway.

They won’t want to lose him as they have only just signed him up to a new contract this season, and with all likelihood Zidane will get the sack unless he wins the Champions League, something I just don’t see happening.

So, let’s just pretend for a minute this happens.

Guys like Marti Perarenau and Sam Lee have been saying for awhile now City are looking to bring in a forward and a defensive midfielder this summer.

Assuming City had no idea Isco would even be an option until just recently, I still don’t see how - even as versatile as he is - bringing him in as the rotation guy for LW. Everyone knows Pep likes his positions 2 deep, currently it’s Silva, KDB, and Gundo in the 8 role, so signing a player like Isco does makes some sense if Pep is really bent on that depth. The issue that arises imo is transfer budget.

I know City have somewhat of a blank checkbook but what would Real really accept for him? If he really becomes available surely City won’t be the only ones trying for him, so you’d have to think with the Coutinho deal setting a bar, Isco would be somewhere between 100-150m right? Great, we pay it and Isco is a Blue. We get the depth in the 8 role, and have a sudo LW maybe? That just doesn’t seem convincing. We need another real forward.

So our main links: Hazard (not happening), Lemar (too expensive after Isco), Mahrez (LC wanted 90m in a January...), and Bailey (maybe the only one that can fit financially, plus is arguably the most like for like replacement of the options) to rotate with Sane/Sterling/Bernardo without as high of play time expectations of the other options as well. So, let’s say we get Bailey for 50-75m, that puts us up over the 200m mark already are we really going to spend another 50-70m on a CDM?

To me (wtf do I know, but this sure is fun to think through), but the only way this works is if Pep decides to rotate Gundo and Dinho (which was originally the plan when Gundo was first brought in), OR...

We sign Emre Can for free. Which would fill squad depth in every single position, while allowing us to financially make Isco possible.

Madrid are going to want Coutinho money I reckon. At least £120m anyway.

They won’t want to lose him as they have only just signed him up to a new contract this season, and with all likelihood Zidane will get the sack unless he wins the Champions League, something I just don’t see happening.

Totally agree. Just can’t see this happening. No way would Real sell.

Must admit thought it made no sense, but looking at him more ,realise he could come instead of a winger and play wide in a three especially with Mendy back to provide width . So come round to it a bit.

Exactly wide with Mendy back would make him even more effective.

Our leak just confirmed our interest so this is surely on now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.