Dog having seizures.

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
Have any bluemooners had any experience of their dog having seizures or fits?

My border terrier woman (Veronica) is 10 years old now and she’s had what I’d describe as minor seizures or fits for around 6 years. They’re usually few and far between and the last minor seizure was about 3 years ago.

She was on pexion as per vet to control these seizures. The seizures stopped and she was taken off pexion, again as per vet and we were advised to buy hypoallergenic food for her.

However in the early hours off Tuesday she’s had a seizure that was much different to the ones she used to have. We took her to the vets as soon they opened on the tuesday. She was kept in and she had another seizure whilst at the vets.

The vet described it as a violent seizure and put her back pexion. The vet asked us to pick her up as the environment of the vets might be stressful and could potentially bring on another seizure. We brought her home and on the Wednesday she was lethargic but no seizures. The Thursday she was back to her normal self, enjoyed her walks, waggy tail etc.

Then today she’s had another violent seizure but she’s really struggling after this one.

She seems to have lost her senses. When she gets up to walk, which isn’t very often she’s disoriented and tends move towards the right. She’s following the walls in the house all on her right hand side as if she’s blind, using the walls as guidance.

I took her out onto a field outside our house about 15 minutes ago and she walked around a tree, following it from her right hand side about 10 times. She wouldn’t come into the open field.

Like I say it’s as if she’s blind in some way.

She’s very tired and even standing up seems to be a real strain for her.

I’m Wondering whether this is a normal side effect of her having a seizure and if anyone has had any experiences of their dog having seizures, your advice would be appreciated.

If she’s still the way she is now tomorrow then I’ll be taking her to the emergency vets.

She’s also diabetic and on insulin injections twice a day to regulate her blood sugar levels. The vet has said that this isn’t connected though.

It’s sad seeing her this way, she’s usually such a happy little dog, full of beans but she’s basically fucked in comparison to her normal self.

Cheers.

My border terrier woman (Veronica) is 10 years old now and she’s had what I’d describe as minor seizures or fits for around 6 years. They’re usually few and far between and the last minor seizure was about 3 years ago.

She was on pexion as per vet to control these seizures. The seizures stopped and she was taken off pexion, again as per vet and we were advised to buy hypoallergenic food for her.

However in the early hours off Tuesday she’s had a seizure that was much different to the ones she used to have. We took her to the vets as soon they opened on the tuesday. She was kept in and she had another seizure whilst at the vets.

The vet described it as a violent seizure and put her back pexion. The vet asked us to pick her up as the environment of the vets might be stressful and could potentially bring on another seizure. We brought her home and on the Wednesday she was lethargic but no seizures. The Thursday she was back to her normal self, enjoyed her walks, waggy tail etc.

Then today she’s had another violent seizure but she’s really struggling after this one.

She seems to have lost her senses. When she gets up to walk, which isn’t very often she’s disoriented and tends move towards the right. She’s following the walls in the house all on her right hand side as if she’s blind, using the walls as guidance.

I took her out onto a field outside our house about 15 minutes ago and she walked around a tree, following it from her right hand side about 10 times. She wouldn’t come into the open field.

I’m Wondering whether this is a normal side effect of her having a seizure and if anyone has had any experiences of their dog having seizures, your advice would be appreciated.

If she’s still the way she is now tomorrow then I’ll be taking her to the emergency vets.

She’s also diabetic and on insulin injections twice a day to regulate her blood sugar levels. The vet has said that this isn’t connected though.

It’s sad seeing her this way, she’s usually such a happy little dog, full of beans but she’s basically fucked in comparison to her normal self.

Cheers.
Heartbreaking stuff mate. My lab collie cross went through similar about 18 months ago at the grand old age of 16. It had been happening for about 6 months when she had a really bad episode. Vet suspected it was a brain tumour, so I was left without a choice. Broke my heart mate. Hope it’s something different & she pulls through.

Cheers.
Loss of function would indicate a stroke and not a seizure, try a different vet that might have a fresh view on things and best of luck.

I had a dog that had seizures unfortunately it was down to a tumour on her pancreas, I hope all goes well for you and your dog.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.