Liverpool (h) - CL QF post match thread

I can’t see why loads of you are looking at the overall score tonight.

It was over at half time... we played some special football in that first half and had deservingly played ourselves bang into the tie. I think given the week the first half performance was legendary... but once that got ruled offside and the manager sent to the stands... I understand why they knew the tie was over. Given the form of officiating they would need to score a minimum of 4 goals unanswered the second half.

They showed real character... but there is a limit as to where that will get you given decisions.

It all gets a bit deflating I imagine.

Certainly must be, there cannot be many who for one minute thought we would win once that decision was made. It wasnt even a close call decision. You knew even if we got back they would have been given a penalty or something. We were never going to win tonight.

Just got back. Nowhere near as bothered as I was on Saturday after the derby. It was always going to be a big ask to rescue something from tonight whereas it should have been straightforward on Saturday and we’d have had the most important trophy in the bag.

Great start but we seemed too hyped up and were making poor decisions with too many pointless or just plain poor balls at key moments. Never seen so many bad balls from Silva & KDB particularly, both of who look physically and mentally shattered. Pep actually got it right tonight tactically but we simply didn’t offer enough of a goal threat after we scored. Just watching the first half again and we’ve exerted loads of pressure but Karius has only had to make one save.

Then in the last 5 minutes there was Bernardo’s deflected shot onto the post and the disallowed goal. I think they may have got that decision right as, if I understand the rule correctly, Milner has to play it deliberately for Sané not to be offside and the question then hinges on whether he did play it deliberately or it just came off him. If the ref decided it wasn’t deliberate then the decision is correct.

Everything changed around 55 minutes when our energy levels seemed to drop, Fernandinho dropped into the back four and we let them have more of the ball. As soon as that happened they scored and it was game over. Otamendi then went full-on Otamendi and that was that. Unlike us, Liverpool know how to protect a lead and deserved it.

Thought Bernardo was excellent (& MOTM for me) and Laporte was also excellent. Sterling was very good but goes over far too easily. He needs to be stronger. Silva, KDB and Fernandinho were very average by their standards. Sané and Walker were OK, Jesus was anonymous after the goal and Otamendi proved he’s the new Richard Dunne.

There’s not enough steel or guile in this team to win the CL unfortunately.

Very good and accurate post.

Still no messages saying sorry Tom you was right. Liverpool in this competition would be fucking horrible for us. Absolute mess from top to bottom from our own team to refereeing. Fucking awful week.

What are you, 10?

What are you, 10?

No but if you get personal abuse and even up to the point of direct message with threats of violence all because you said Liverpool is a horrible team to get in the draw I’d quite like an apology

Just got back. Nowhere near as bothered as I was on Saturday after the derby. It was always going to be a big ask to rescue something from tonight whereas it should have been straightforward on Saturday and we’d have had the most important trophy in the bag.

Great start but we seemed too hyped up and were making poor decisions with too many pointless or just plain poor balls at key moments. Never seen so many bad balls from Silva & KDB particularly, both of who look physically and mentally shattered. Pep actually got it right tonight tactically but we simply didn’t offer enough of a goal threat after we scored. Just watching the first half again and we’ve exerted loads of pressure but Karius has only had to make one save.

Then in the last 5 minutes there was Bernardo’s deflected shot onto the post and the disallowed goal. I think they may have got that decision right as, if I understand the rule correctly, Milner has to play it deliberately for Sané not to be offside and the question then hinges on whether he did play it deliberately or it just came off him. If the ref decided it wasn’t deliberate then the decision is correct.

Everything changed around 55 minutes when our energy levels seemed to drop, Fernandinho dropped into the back four and we let them have more of the ball. As soon as that happened they scored and it was game over. Otamendi then went full-on Otamendi and that was that. Unlike us, Liverpool know how to protect a lead and deserved it.

Thought Bernardo was excellent (& MOTM for me) and Laporte was also excellent. Sterling was very good but goes over far too easily. He needs to be stronger. Silva, KDB and Fernandinho were very average by their standards. Sané and Walker were OK, Jesus was anonymous after the goal and Otamendi proved he’s the new Richard Dunne.

There’s not enough steel or guile in this team to win the CL unfortunately.

Pretty good summation. Like you I was much more deflated on Saturday. I had hope tonight but we were always up against it.
Real pity we can't seem to defend at the moment. Pep needs to sort that quickly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.