How do we get better next season?

We don't need a new CB

I think with the system we play all our CB’s are going to look exposed and dodgy at times. Still too many basic errors though. Not defending a basic free kick for example against United was criminal defending and nothing to do with the system.

We need a proper defensive midfield player and we need our attacking midfield players to get back into defensive positions more quickly against the better sides.

Pep also need to be more pragmatic in some games.

We didn’t actually need to do anything attacking wise to beat united at 2-0 up but found ourselves overwhelmed in the middle largely due to the likes of Silva, Sane, Silva and Jesus not getting back into position quickly enough.

Bang on.
Kun gets goals and is class but doesn't feel like a natural finisher.
Jesus is developing OK finisher but needs more strength and is offside a lot.
Raz.......let's not even go there.

The cupboard is pretty bare. Vardy or even Defoe for a year would be a reasonable cheap addition a la lampard.......
If thats the case then who are we looking at? Kane, Lewandowski, messi, ronaldo, Higuain..... any others to that list? Realistically on that list id say only Kane and Higuain are even a remote possibility. Kane would be 200 million plus.

You say that but our form around Christmas and New Year was nothing like it was in the first chunk of the season.

We were poor at Newcastle, poor at Palace, okay against Watford but then poor for an hour against Burnley (then brilliant for half an hour), poor against Bristol, poor at Liverpool, not bad against Newcastle but then poor again at Bristol, a couple of good wins then we were poor at Burnley again.
But we found a way to win!

I think with the system we play all our CB’s are going to look exposed and dodgy at times. Still too many basic errors though. Not defending a basic free kick for example against United was criminal defending and nothing to do with the system.

We need a proper defensive midfield player and we need our attacking midfield players to get back into defensive positions more quickly against the better sides.

Pep also need to be more pragmatic in some games.

We didn’t actually need to do anything attacking wise to beat united at 2-0 up but found ourselves overwhelmed in the middle largely due to the likes of Silva, Sane, Silva and Jesus not getting back into position quickly enough.

I agree that our defending needs to improve but we've got IMO the four best CB options in the PL. We've also practically played a full season with no LB which was our Achilles heel last season.

A DM has to be the priority so if needed we can play him alongside Fernandinho and move to a more counter attacking system. I don't expect Pep to change what has worked so far, however, the last week has highlighted certain occasions where there is room to be more pragmatic.

2-0 up at home in a derby with a huge CL game a few days later would be the time to replace Silva with a more defensive minded player. The first leg away to Liverpool is also another example. We have the pace to hurt teams on the counter and it's something we need to utilise more in the big games.

Avoid the negativity.

The turning point in our form, for me, was the second half against the Arse when Pep told the players to keep ball with little or no attempt to score more goals. This was in contrast to the way we had played all season. It continued throughout April against Chelsea (after we scored), second half against Stoke and Everton, plus weakened teams against Basel and the rags. In my opinion we lost our momentum and became preoccupied with 'saving players' , and ended up never playing our best team. We lost all positivity and so did Pep, who also appeared to lose the trust in his players, evident in his strange team choices against Liverpool, twice.

We could have easily battered Arsenal, Stoke, Everton , Chelsea and the rags playing our usual positive game , confidence would have been sky high and the squad no worse off for it. I would also be sat now nursing my winnings after us reaching 100 Prem goals!

Mendy will hopefully (if he fully recovers from the ACL injury) be a major tactical weapon as he allows us to play an all out attack 3-5-2 much like we did in the first half against Liverpool at home.

He also offers us to chance to play a 3-6-1/3-4-3 (midfield diamond) to suffocate games against high intensity teams like Liverpool because we don’t possess the physical capabilities to compete, even though we are technically superior.

Bang on.
Kun gets goals and is class but doesn't feel like a natural finisher.
Jesus is developing OK finisher but needs more strength and is offside a lot.
Raz.......let's not even go there.

The cupboard is pretty bare. Vardy or even Defoe for a year would be a reasonable cheap addition a la lampard.......

Not...sure...if....serious....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.