Pub before Brighton game...

Asian Blue

Team supported
Man City
Coming up from Bristol for the game, and as an evening k.o. now, it will be difficult to get back due to train times, so will stay over in Manchester that night.
I will be in Princess St, and probably grab the tram from Piccadilly to get to the Etihad................any suggestions for good "Blues" Pubs to go in, before and after the game. ?

If you've not been before then Mary D's before the game. It's shite (to me) but it's a right of passage to blues. NQ after the match is as good as anywhere on a Saturday night and you're sure to find something that suits.
If good ale is your objective - then CAMRAs Good Beer Guide is your friend
Edit: just realised it's a Weds night - so not much time after the game and NQ will be quiet. The Grey Horse on Portland street is ok and not far from your Princess Street digs

Last edited:
Coming up from Bristol for the game, and as an evening k.o. now, it will be difficult to get back due to train times, so will stay over in Manchester that night.
I will be in Princess St, and probably grab the tram from Piccadilly to get to the Etihad................any suggestions for good "Blues" Pubs to go in, before and after the game. ?
Most will have blues in for a home game.
Avoid Mary D’s though.
Depends on your tastes and budget where to go.
Waterhouse or Lloyd’s bar in print works are decent Wetherspoons, hence cheap, cheaper still is Sinclairs and has a large outside seating area if it’s sunny.
Northern Quarter has good and quirky bars/restaurants or go to the Crown and Anchor on Hilton Street, always has blues in it.
Fringe Bar and City Arms are real ale pubs and frequented by blues.

Avoid Piccadilly and it's pubs ...... The Waldorf is a big Blue pub. Decent food and drink too. They also run a coach to and from the home games.

If you're catching the tram to the stadium, catch it from St Peters Square or Piccadilly Garden's, not Piccadilly, as there is a queuing system there & the trams are already rammed before they arrive there.
Spoilt for choice for pubs, but if you like a decent pint, try the Crown & Kettle on Great Ancoats Street. Quite a few blues in there pre match, and 30 mins walk to the stadium (or leap in a cab if the weather's shite or you're feeling lazy).

Crown & Anchor near to Sinclair's, Waldorf bottles only (draught beer there always gives me the trotts) but full of blues, close to ground Townley or if you want some atmos D's.

Cheers guys........................thanks for the advice.
Starting to really look forward to what will be my first night game in a very long time, and also a few good beers with fellow blues !!!!

Most will have blues in for a home game.
Avoid Mary D’s though.

It can worth both ways this. I was in there last Sunday and a big gang of Belgium's in there with flags. Got talking to them and they did say it was the best experience they'd had. The DJ had gone through all the Vinne and Kev songs several times for them and they kinda felt like celebrities. It actually was a good afternoon. But I have been in there when its been shite.

It can worth both ways this. I was in there last Sunday and a big gang of Belgium's in there with flags. Got talking to them and they did say it was the best experience they'd had. The DJ had gone through all the Vinne and Kev songs several times for them and they kinda felt like celebrities. It actually was a good afternoon. But I have been in there when its been shite.
Tbh I only care about the quality of beer and length of queuing in any establishment. Not fussed if there are blues in there or not as long as I can get a quiet pint...

Mary D’s have been taking the piss with beer for ages. The place has lots its sparkle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.