First Game

Dad took me and our kid for my 8th birthday. January 1964 against Grimsby. 4-2 I think, in the old Main Stand, absolutely freezing I recall. Great days he would have loved watching us now.

I can't remember. I was a young kid (7-8) but literally can't remember. Am I in the minority?

City v Coventry, 16th Jan 1974, won 4-2
Played on a Tuesday afternoon, I think it was because of the miners strike

City 3 Leeds 2 7th Sept 1963. First City match I went to,aged 10,with my mates, all the same age, except Ric who was a neighbor and the ripe old age of 14, rather than with my Dad. Stood leaning on the wall in the scoreboard end. The main thing I remember is a very young Jack Charlton banging heads with a City player,cant remember who, and his nose getting smashed all over his face and coming and leaning on the wall next to where we were and getting the magic sponge.
I remember that game.. it was a clash with Paul Aimson if I recall correctly.. and Leeds kicked anything that was above grass level, their default setting for that year’s promotion campaign and the top level success they enjoyed over the next 10 years (Cloughie’s analysis of them was spot on when he took over, shame he only lasted 44 days with them, they were much better than that).. I used to see Aimson with John Benson and Roy Cheetham visiting the latter’s Grandma (she lived opposite one of my aunt’s).. the three of them would pull up in what seemed the biggest car on the planet and us kids would be in total awe of these footballing ‘Gods’!

Some old feckers on here ;) My dad managed to drag me along in 97 against Grimsby.

I'll forever be greatfull.

I remember that game.. it was a clash with Paul Aimson if I recall correctly.. and Leeds kicked anything that was above grass level, their default setting for that year’s promotion campaign and the top level success they enjoyed over the next 10 years (Cloughie’s analysis of them was spot on when he took over, shame he only lasted 44 days with them, they were much better than that).. I used to see Aimson with John Benson and Roy Cheetham visiting the latter’s Grandma (she lived opposite one of my aunt’s).. the three of them would pull up in what seemed the biggest car on the planet and us kids would be in total awe of these footballing ‘Gods’!

Roy Cheetham, that name rings a bell.My Dad had a small hardware shop on what was then High Street now Hathersage Road just up from the baths. Dave Shawcross lodged locally and my Dad got to know him quite well and asked if he could get any tickets. Soon after Dave Shawcross came into the shop and gave my Dad a season ticket. It was Roy Cheethams, that wasn't been used, so we had that for most of the season, of course Saturday afternoons were busy for my Dad so I used it then he had it for any night matches. Think perhaps season 64/5

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.