First Game

I don't know how anyone actually remembers this?

Mine was around the David White/Andy Hinchcliffe era couldn't say which game but around the 87/88 season used to go with my mum & brother queue up at the City chippy and then into the Main Stand but as a teenager my mum stopped so me and my brother moved to Kippax then North Stand.

Happy days indeed even though we were shite haha!

Sounds like yer a year younger than me, and, by the way it's FOCs not old codgers. I saw City v Blackpool in 55. 2-0 to City!

Thanks for the memories - though mines going! I was taken to see Blackpool but I think it must have been '56. Stanley Matthews was playing but we had Savage in goal because Bert was out with his broken neck. Bert was my hero and I was thrilled when he came back - in the home game to Leicester, which we won 4-3. Do you remember those games?

Paddy Fagan scored two, Hayes two and Hart 1.
I was at that game and vividly remember one of United's forwards breaking clear, tried to lob Bert Trautmann who calmly jumped up and collected the ball.
My first game was the one before that - at home to Cardiff which we won 4-1.
I lived in Gorse Hill at the time - about half a mile from the swamp but my dad was a blue through and through so we'd always catch the football specials to Maine Road bus depot - even for reserve games.
Thanks very much - excellent detail.

Leicester at home March 1989. We won 4-2, Paul Lake almost died, Trevor Morley scored a hat trick, Gary McAllister scored a brilliant goal for them (didn't appreciate it at the time). I was 8 and remember thinking how big Maine Road looked from the back of the north stand. Only at half time (still 0-0) did it dawn on me that we might lose and I wanted to go home I was so sick with nerves. 29 years on not much has changed.

City v Leicester, won 4–2, 1989, celebrated all six goals because I didn’t have a clue haha

Leicester at home March 1989. We won 4-2, Paul Lake almost died, Trevor Morley scored a hat trick, Gary McAllister scored a brilliant goal for them (didn't appreciate it at the time). I was 8 and remember thinking how big Maine Road looked from the back of the north stand. Only at half time (still 0-0) did it dawn on me that we might lose and I wanted to go home I was so sick with nerves. 29 years on not much has changed.
Was that when Paul Lake swallowed his tongue? Jesus that was horrible, he was shaking when the phyiso (bald guy Roy can't remember his name??) tried to bring him round. Knocked me sick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.