First away game.

Sept. 1966 at the swamp, the first derby under Joe and Mal, we lost 1-0, Law scored and Buzzer had a goal disallowed for a tight offside call (nothing changes).

My first city away game was my first city game full stop. Stoke, boxing day 88.
Not my first away game but one of the most memorable, resuly a part. Around 12000 blues, most in fancy dress

Oldham away in either 83 or 84. It was dark, cold and windy. I was 13/14

We were 3:0 down at halftime and City fans were climbing the fence trying to get on the pitch. The police entered the stand with dogs sending everyone scampering away, and in the process I lost my mates who I traveled down with. After the game I was lost and was on the verge of accepting a lift off another City fan until I saw a bus going back to Ashton. We lost.

Leeds 1982/83 after we were relegated

14 at the time and coached pulled up in Chorlton and me and mate just got on the coach and paid at the turnstiles

Trouble everywhere

My old lady and the old man didn’t have a clue we had gone and I got a proper bolocking

Burnley for me, early mid 70's, Special from Victoria, was enthralled as I watched the carriages being dismantled in such methodical fashion on the short journey to Lancashire. Felt like part of an invading army as 400+ Mancs piled off the train making such a racket, stations always provide such tremendous acoustics for a football mob, on leaving the station the road went under the rail lines, the noise was even louder, it was fucking exhilarating.
Once in the ground it was almost like being at Maine Rd, we had about half of the Long Side and this was before they had the netting up between the 2 sets of fans, bricks and bottles were flying back and to for most of the game, the train got bricked as we left Burnley and again just before we reached Victoria, those pesky rags no doubt.

I've no recollection of the result but I had by far the best day of my life up to that point, I'd found my drug of choice, away games, would miss a home game all day long if it meant I could have done an away.

Derby, 1977. We were chasing the title that season, and ended up getting battered 4-0. Anyone remember big Joe stepping out the yards for the penalty spot which had disappeared in a sea of sand? The ref had spotted the ball, but Joe reckoned it was too close to the goal ( he was right as well, IIRC). And he got booked for it too.

Remember it well, think it might have been last game of the season but could be wrong, either way as you say it was pivotal to our title challenge at the time. Derby fans came on the pitch at the end and it started to turn nasty, always an interesting walk back to the station @ Derby, bit like Stoke.

As an aside, we went in one of the backstreet pubs near the ground before the game and their resident Sunday League team were all in there celebrating a trophy win, they were all Asian and were called Punjab Rovers, radical, I thought I'd stepped through the wardrobe, as it happens they were sound and offered us samosas & pakoras with our beer.

I was fortunate enough to be at the derby in 1974 as an 11 year old in the Stretford end seats and reminded recently I had my city scarf on. Can remember bits of the game and especially the crowd invasions. Was a pleasure to be there and see us put the rags down!

For me it was Leeds utd away around 1983/84 am I right in thinking Burridge was in goal, it was mayhemall the way back to Leeds station ..and I'm sure it was standing behind the Goal in the away end.

Anfield on a bank holiday I think god knows what year but was in the 80s. As young 12/13 year olds me m8 came up with the plan that we could catch the 34 bus from the Arndale straight there, cost about 30p as we was traveling outside manchester , imadgin that .. hours later we arrived watched us get beat then waited a age for the 34 bus back home as it was a bank holiday.. arrived back in Manchester around 11pm with both our mums and police looking for us, and a right good crack from them in front of the plod as they caught up with us walking back to Ardwick from town .. happy dayz we cought the bug, we jibbed the Birmingham bound football special the week after only to be greeted with a crack at Piccadilly station on return :-)

We jibbed in old Trafford loads of times and hung around there till gates opened last 15 but there not realy away days..

Last edited:
Blackpool in the league cup about '96.
Got beat 1-0 I think. The 2nd leg went to penalties and Bradbury took the worst penalty in history.

For me it was Leeds utd away around 1983/84 am I right in thinking Burridge was in goal, it was mayhemall the way back to Leeds station ..and I'm sure it was standing behind the Goal in the away end.

You might have your seasons mixed-up, because in September 83, we beat Leeds 2-1, with Alex Williams in goal.

It was definitely mayhem everywhere, but the City fans were in the old Lowfield Paddock, between the halfway line and the corner flag, (opposite the cameras).

Williams was subjected to all manner of racist abuse from the Leeds fans to our left, with “sieg heil” chants and bananas chucked into the pitch.

Andy Ritchie opened the scoring for Leeds, but for once, we showed some resilience, and won the game with two late goals from Graham Baker and a Derek Parlane header.

Oldham away in either 83 or 84. It was dark, cold and windy. I was 13/14

We were 3:0 down at halftime and City fans were climbing the fence trying to get on the pitch. The police entered the stand with dogs sending everyone scampering away, and in the process I lost my mates who I traveled down with. After the game I was lost and was on the verge of accepting a lift off another City fan until I saw a bus going back to Ashton. We lost.
I live in Oldham and was in the town centre early morning shopping, couldn't walk for the wind and there were bits of roofs all over the place, not for the first time Oldham looked like it'd been bombed overnight.

I was really surprised the game went ahead....the wind although we weren't very good at the time was a great leveler for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.