The Darkest Day - 20 years today

Got back to Manchester in one piece - somehow. Utter bedlam after the game. Got back to Manchester and got pissed, went home told (the ex) wife to fook right off, packed me bags and went back to my Mam’s, didn’t have anywhere else to go. Marriage had been shit for years, but, kept hoping that things would get better. Just like City! Life is brilliant now, happily remarried, nice house and a good job. I thank myself every day for keeping the faith (Pearce aside) and at 53 loving the fact that City really are the best team in the land and all the world!
I think that’s the best post I’ve ever read on this site, absolutely brilliant pal!

At the game , few beers before and a sing song , running battles inside the ground , mayhem outside , car windows being put through, typical City score five and get relegated, back into to town to drown the sorrows with an air of fuck it , then ready for the next season

I was there can't believe it was 20 years ago, really bad year family party after getting back Mum told me Dad had been diagnosed with mesothelioma what a shite weekend that was one I'll not forget. At least he lived to see us back in the Championship he'd be well chuffed now though.

Actually really enjoyed reading this thread, makes me appreciate where we are now even more

Couldn’t go to the game as was at a family wedding .....me and my brother walking round with faces like slapped arses all night and Mum telling us to “cheer up” not being well received

I remember feeling worse though when the fixtures came out. I was in Ronnies in St Ann’s Square watching an England World Cup game and it was only then it really struck me. Fucking painful.

Got back to Manchester in one piece - somehow. Utter bedlam after the game. Got back to Manchester and got pissed, went home told (the ex) wife to fook right off, packed me bags and went back to my Mam’s, didn’t have anywhere else to go. Marriage had been shit for years, but, kept hoping that things would get better. Just like City! Life is brilliant now, happily remarried, nice house and a good job. I thank myself every day for keeping the faith (Pearce aside) and at 53 loving the fact that City really are the best team in the land and all the world!
Brought a tear to my eye. Great stuff.

I used to play in the Stoke pool league and a lot of the guys I played with used to go so they persuaded me to go in the Stoke end with about 20 of them. I even went in the Stoke supporters club bar first - even though everyone knew I was a blue. When we scored it kicked off as a few other City fans were around me as well. All of a sudden half my Stoke mates started fighting, whilst I was weirdly "safe" as I was a mate. What was weirder though was that Nick Hancock was about 3 rows in front. If anything he started the fighting and then some blue recognised him and lamped him so he ran to a steward. Always wish I had a video or Mobile cos I would have ruined (what was left of ) his career. Solemn walk back afterwards into town. Don't recall any fighting afterwards just a load of us unhappy. All worked out brilliant though. With no Stoke there was no Gillingham

I was part of our travelling army at The Shay in 1980 when Halifax (4th Division !!!) knocked us out of the Cup. That felt like the lowest point we would ever endure. Little did we know...... I was banished to the South Coast with my job - 97 - 2000, but I kept my season ticket and somehow got to most home games. Cost me a fortune. I watched our relegation to the 3rd tier in an Eastbourne seafront pub with my young son who was inconsolable. Only two City fans in there - me and another guy (plus my son). But I vividly remember Joe Royle saying that when the City juggernaut turns around, it will be unstoppable. Took a few years - but he was right !!!!!

Last edited:
I was there. In the City end. Only 2 rows from the front and was jumped on at least a couple of times by blues who'd been in the home end but made a break for it!
Strangely, the 'Are you watching Macclesfield' is one of my proudest moments as a City fan. Humorous, loud and defiant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.