Jadon Sancho

What I don't understand is if it was so clear to many watching Sancho at the academy that he was going to be a world beater then why didn't Pep play him?

Cos he was 16 at the time tbf. It was obvious he'd be ready this year. I actually think Pep would have given him some games this year if he was still here. But Sancho left cos he didn't trust that, and you can't really blame him. Given how little time Brahim has got this season, you could say he was right. If Sancho did play too itd most likely be at the expense of Foden I reckon. It's been Brahim OR Foden on or coming off the bench usually this season. Rarely both, so no reason ot suggest itd not be the same if Sancho was here

What I don't understand is if it was so clear to many watching Sancho at the academy that he was going to be a world beater then why didn't Pep play him?

Because it's easier to spend £43 million on Bernardo Silva than actually give a proper chance to a youngster. Now I think Bernardo will be a great player for us, but we'd still be smashing records if we'd kept Sancho and never signed Bernardo.

He's not exactly become an automatic starter at Dortmund yet either. Maybe he wouldn't have got the 6 starts for us this season but he would undoubtedly have been involved enough, cup games he would have started plus the odd champs league appearance and theres been plenty of times Sane and/or Sterling have looked knackered but weve had to keep them on due to a lack of alternatives. He could easily have racked up at least half a dozen league appearances on top of the cup games, might only have been 10/15 minutes but it would have been comparable to what hes seen at Dortmund. Foden and diaz play in a position we are fully stocked in, making it harder for them, there would have been less in front of Sancho as a more natural winger.

Pointless going on about it anyway, if our academy is to be even more successful and remain that way, they'll be numerous Sancho's that come and go in the future, it's part and parcel of it. The key is leaving them hungry to return in the future. Look how many Barca lose or let go every year and the majority of them are dying to prove themselves elsewhere before going back there if they end up good enough for their first team. Our academy is doing fine, it's becomingif it already isnt self sustaining whilst we hunt for that elusive gem that makes it into our side. Were one of the best sides ever right now, the chances of finding somebody capable of fitting into our side on merit so young is monumentally slim and some fans have to recognise that. If we bring just one or two through per generation along with bringing one or two back after them initially leaving whilst also regretfully losing a couple in the process too, then the academy will be arguably the best around.

Cos he was 16 at the time tbf. It was obvious he'd be ready this year. I actually think Pep would have given him some games this year if he was still here. But Sancho left cos he didn't trust that, and you can't really blame him. Given how little time Brahim has got this season, you could say he was right. If Sancho did play too itd most likely be at the expense of Foden I reckon. It's been Brahim OR Foden on or coming off the bench usually this season. Rarely both, so no reason ot suggest itd not be the same if Sancho was here

So it's likely Brahim will leave as well, particularly if he's looking at the progress Sancho is making?

Glad he's doing good. The fact we didn't make it difficult for him may mean he'll return in the future if good enough.

Pointless going on about it anyway, if our academy is to be even more successful and remain that way, they'll be numerous Sancho's that come and go in the future, it's part and parcel of it. The key is leaving them hungry to return in the future.

If we're going to be losing players as good as Sancho without them ever playing for us then I'd argue that the academy would be a complete failure and a massive waste of time.

If we're going to be losing players as good as Sancho without them ever playing for us then I'd argue that the academy would be a complete failure and a massive waste of time.
While him leaving was a disappointment,8m pounds suggests the academy is anything but a failure or a waste of time..

I hope we remember and hope it blows up in our face at some point, as maybe then we'll learn not to waste the academy. Sometimes you only learn from swallowing a pretty tough pill. There's a lot great about this club, but the one thing that lets us down is our youth stuff. The talent is 100% there. Hopefully the Foden stuff is the first signs of change.

Yep, exactly my feelings. That assist from Sancho today was pure class, he should’ve been challenging with Sane for the LW position this season. Diaz will be gone next, who I think has more raw potential out of the Foden, Sancho and himself. I can’t moan to much about not giving them sufficent time, because Pep has produced the best football I’ve ever seen in the prem. Surely something’s got to give next season and let our brightest talents get more minutes on the pitch. I love winning the league cup, but Foden and Maffeo if he stays next season should be guaranteed starters. I didn’t mention Diaz there because I think he will leave this summer.

Sancho himself said in an interview recently that he left particularly because he doesn't think he can get ahead of Sane. So it was either Sancho or Sane, and I don't think any of us would choose Sancho over Sane now are we?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.